Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AIF service dress caps at Gallipoli

Hi Chaps

This is my first post on the forum. My name is Nic and I live in Sydney Australia.

I am doing some research into Australian uniforms worn at Gallipoli. I am curious if anyone knows if AIF troops were issued British SD caps just before the landings? I noticed many of the caps in photos do not have a piece of leather on the brim, some originals in the AWM collection are made from a more British khaki wool rather then the Greenish AIF wool. Also a photo showing some troops landing shows them wearing large AIF badges and some curved Australia titles on their caps. I thought Australian made SD caps would have had the small rising sun badges. The photo seems like many were issued this cap last minute and added any badge they had.

Nic

WDJ0157--1-.jpg

Where was this photo taken? Yes the wore British made uniforms and head wear.

Hi Robert

I cannot find any reference to AIF being issued British SD caps prior to Gallipoli. Anything on the internet only mentions the Australian made ones. Does anyone know what the story was with SD caps to be worn during the landings. One source mentions it was so troops could identify themselves easier as Commonwealth forces.

Thanks

Nic

My understanding is that the men were issued with such headware from the beginning of their service.  I have a photo of 'E'Company 14th Battalion AIF from their training days at Broadmeadows clearly showing them wearing the caps.

Jonathan

PS. sorry but it won't upload for some reason

Issued in Australia were the  SD cap , slouch hat, side cap but when O/S they preferred to wear the slouch hat, but if there hat or uniform was unwearable they would have got a British made item to replace it as the cost would have been cheaper then exporting uniforms and equipment from Australia when they can get the same from the British.

Also they had either large or small R/sun badges on the Hats and in that photo i would say they are all wearing aussie made hats with the leather strip on the visor .

Edited by Robert Rytir

There is a comment about headgear in the first volume of the Official History - Chapter X, page 217 -

“In this connection it may be mentioned that at this date Australian hats were difficult to procure, and men were therefore allowed, if they desired, to buy pith helmets similar to those worn by the British.”

[see https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/awm-media/collection/RCDIG1069883/document/5519357.PDF]

Instead of pith helmets, did some men purchase British caps?

Edited by michaeldr

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 08:11, Robert Rytir said:

Issued in Australia were the  SD cap , slouch hat, side cap but when O/S they preferred to wear the slouch hat, but if there hat or uniform was unwearable they would have got a British made item to replace it as the cost would have been cheaper then exporting uniforms and equipment from Australia when they can get the same from the British.

Also they had either large or small R/sun badges on the Hats and in that photo i would say they are all wearing aussie made hats with the leather strip on the visor .

Uniforms were manufactured in Australia and exported to Egypt/France/UK for field service replacement.  There are references in Vol 11 of the Official History on this. Uniforms were also sourced in the UK, to the AIF pattern. These were a  khaki brown colour rather than green. The quality was dreadful. There have been previous threads on this with lots of photos.

WW1 OR caps are in a soft green wool fabric, matching the uniform. They were even made with flaps to go down over the ears and neck - unfortunately these are very rare. I have only seen one Australian example and the moths had eaten most of it.

Cheers

Ross