The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John James Dowse RAMC (Boer War - WW1)

davem43624

Hi

Trying to find out more about my wife's grandfather, John James Dowse, RAMC. He served in South Africa, gaining 

the Queen's South Africa medal with clasps "Cape Colony", "South Africa 1901" and "South Africa 1902".

It appears that he actually served right though past the end of WW1, with service numbers 12253, 94851 & 205342.

I've attached a snip from the National Archives that mentions a Territorial Force Efficiency Medal and "mentions in despatches" (i.e. more than once), and a Meritorious Service Medal in the Peace Gazette.

Can you please suggest anywhere else I can research these awards? I know nowt about the TSFM and the MIDs, and just the bare Gazette posting for the MSM. As it was the Peace Gazette, might this have been just a long service thing, rather some gallant act of his?

I remember finding that he was in 4 Field Ambulance, but I can't find where at the moment. If he was posted there all the time, it was attached in 1914 to 2nd Division & afterwards to Guards Division. He had the 1914 Star & clasp, so he may well have been in the retreat from Mons, etc. From 1916 he was posted home and for some of that time was literally at home, in Preston Lancs, working with the TF. His military records are hard to read, but between home posting he appears to have been posted to "EEF" and "ER", if those mean anything to you.

Cheers

Dave

John James Dowse WW 1 Medal Card - the National Archives.jpg