Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kemmelberg

suesalter1

Does anyone know if there is parking at Kemmelberg? Or does one park at the bottom and slog up the hill?

On my itinerary for my next trip in October.

Thanks,

Sue

There are plenty of places to park. Depends what you are intending to see. For example there are good spaces at the French ‘angel’ memorial and at the Belvedere.

Hello,

Parking places have been reduced severely on top of the Kemmelberg. There's for instance only one or two parking places for the handicapped left at the "Angel". There are places at both restaurants on top of the Kemmelberg, but those are basically reserved for clients...

Jan

It was done recently indeed. I was quite surprised when I was there in the spring. Apparently they want to protect the summit more as a nature reserve.

We were there in April this year and was only 2 disabled spaces available at the summit and was able to park at the French Ossuary although no marked parking was available and we were the only ones there.

IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

My god those photo's take me back a few years, 2012 if I remember correctly in the company of Chris Baker and a very enjoyable and memorable trip it was!

On 30/07/2018 at 06:01, AOK4 said:

It was done recently indeed. I was quite surprised when I was there in the spring. Apparently they want to protect the summit more as a nature reserve.

Yes lots of trees and plants all around the "Sad Angel" 

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2546 (2).JPG

3 hours ago, Keith Iles said:

My god those photo's take me back a few years, 2012 if I remember correctly in the company of Chris Baker and a very enjoyable and memorable trip it was!

We based ourselves in Kemmel Town for about 3 days so got to see plenty in the town itself and the Kemmelberg  before attending the ANZAC Day Dawn Service at Polygon Wood. then on to Talbot House for the night .

IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

I was there in June and unfortunately found that the hotel/restaurant (Restaurant Belvedere Kemmelberg) was closed! the gates were padlocked and the whole place looked as if someone had suddenly announced that the place was closing and everyone left.... dining tables were set for the next meal, the kitchen appeared to be all set to cook. There were 'For Sale' signs erected all around particularly on the outside fence.  The good news is that the side gate had an 'open' sign on it (which was initially confusing), and it was.... access to the tower was still possible and some kind soul had left the staircase lights on, so it was obviously encouraging people to climb the tower and take in the view.  It would be interesting to know what is going to happen to this fine place.

Andrew

Thanks for all the replies. I think we'll drive up and see if we're lucky. We went to Kemmel town last year and found it a very pleasant place. There's a interesting visitor centre and nice cafes. i remember having the best cup of coffee ever and then nice, but naughty desserts! My friend was very impressed with Kemmel and says 'we must go back', so we will.

Thanks again,

Sue

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 15:44, The Bendigonian said:

We based ourselves in Kemmel Town for about 3 days so got to see plenty in the town itself and the Kemmelberg  before attending the ANZAC Day Dawn Service at Polygon Wood. then on to Talbot House for the night .

IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

I'm thinking of staying in that area next year. I was thinking about the area south-west of Kemmel but where did you stay in Kemmel? And, could you recommond it for a 4-5 day stray?  

Thanks, in advance

• Admin

We stayed in De Verborgen Stilte close to La Laiterie cemetery and with a view towards Godezonne Farm cemetery last year and five years ago. Katrien  the owner is a nurse and will leave breakfast out if she is on early shift. The rooms have a microwave and crockery and cutlery. Very comfortable bed, good bathroom and a lovely view towards Kemmelberg and a distant views of the chateau cemetery and a lovely garden. 

The WiFi is also excellent. 

Michelle