The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Missing military service for Henry/Harry Taylor HALEWOOD

davidbohl

I have a Henry/Harry Taylor HALEWOOD b.1891 Liverpool but I've spent a while trying to find military service for him using his middle name Taylor, none forthcoming.

The remaining don't look promising, any more clues please ?

Dave

Henry Halewood  (died 1917) 16th Lancers (The Queen's), 17th Lancers 4530, ML/4530

Henry Halewood Cheshire Regiment 2299

Henry Halewood Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 7893

Henry Halewood King's Royal Rifle Corps, Royal Army Medical Corps 9185, 12637

Harry Halewood Army Service Corps M2/148355

His son was Lt in Parachute Regt according to the paper in ww2

MARRIAGES

HALEWOOD—PACKER—June 2. at Carisbrooke Church, Lieut. D. HALEWOOD, Parachute Regt., son of Mr. and Mrs. H. T. Halewood, Mendlp Road. Liverpool, to MABEL IRENE, daughter Mr. and -Mrs. E. ...

Published: Tuesday 05 June 1945 
Newspaper: Liverpool Echo 
Edited by davidbohl

Cheshire Regiment 2299 killed 1915. LNLR man KIA 1914. We know the Lancers chap died 1917 Looks like your man died 3Q 1964 (born 9/1/1891) so I think those 3 are definitely excluded; especially if the newspaper does not say "the late".

His son is Donald. HTH married Laura Lindley in 1920 and Donald was born 1922 Reg 2Q Toxteth Park. So no clue there. Nor in the electoral register 1920 that has him at home with mother and brothers. He and other 2 all have middle name Taylor.

M2/148355 has a middle name of Orel and came from Cardiff - so not him

Edited by Mark1959

There's a couple of H Halewood's on Ancestry in the Naval Medal and Award Rolls, a few of our chaps were in the RNR at various HMS President bases (accountancy and payroll)

Dave

His brother William Taylor Halewood was on the President. RN Oct 1917 - Mar 1918. Then to RAF on its formation in April 1918.

The 2 RN H Halewoods. One is Herbert. The other seems unlikely. First ship: a fireman on board a captured German freighter. He has a trio of medals. Just does not seem to square with a teaching background. So view - unlikely but not impossible. Struggling to find owt on the KRRC/RAMC man. 

KRRC man has an entry on "Geoff's" site http://www.hut-six.co.uk/GreatWar/KRRC/King'sRoyalRifleCorps_H.html but the extra link on it is dead http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6675940 I wonder what it linked to ?

Dave