Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

America German Cemetery or Amerika German Cemetery

laughton

Since we have collected this information detailing the concentrations to the other two cemeteries, I thought it would a good future reference from someone that is searching for this information. The post where this originated is "Zantvoorde British Cemetery Case #5: Amerika German Cemetery, Lt Grenadier Guards". Thanks to Jan (AOK4) for providing the extra information!

So, there were 5 British graves on America Crossroads cemetery, which was probably started late October 1914 when there was a German medical aid post in America Cabt (Egberts grandfather, Gottfried Sandrock, passed here as well in November 1914 when I'm not mistaken).

Three were later exhumed and transferred to Larch Wood Cemetery, among these Jack Eden. He was buried in grave 32. Grave 16 and 17 were taken to Larch Wood as well (Wilson of 2/Scots Guards and an unknown from 2/Yorkshire).

Two graves were apparently taken to Zandvoorde: 14 and 15. Number 14 was an unknown officer, 15 just an unknown according to the German list.

Here are the COG-BR and GRRF documents related to these concentrations:

From Larch Wood (Railway Cutting) Cemetery (see also the ZIP files here: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/byet2bu9rtdc5/Larch_Wood_(Railway_Cutting)_Cemetery)

FOR FOLLOW-UP: I am not sure why they did not take Lance Corporal William Wortley Blow #9222 as the UBS from the 2nd Yorkshire Regiment. The number is an exact match? Maybe he was in the wrong area or they never checked? It could be because the 10314 number is also 2nd Battalion Yorkshire Regiment if you look at some of the others on the CWGC (103** List).

doc2226289.JPG

doc1820944.JPG

From Zantvoorde British Cemetery: (see also the ZIP files here: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/cgud1qfuqmbdo/Zantvoorde_British_Cemetery)

doc1840120.JPG

doc2157695.JPG

Edited by laughton
missed a link