Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
hazelclark

“Kent’s Care for the Wounded”

hazelclark

Still on the hunt for information about my grandfather, by a convoluted route, I discovered a VAD auxiliary hospital in Orpington which I had been searching for.  Family lore has it that when my grandfather lost his arm, the first my grandmother heard of his being wounded was a summons from the war office to join him in Orpington at-a convalescent hospital.  I have been trying to find this place for years and today stumbled on the above named online book about the VAD hospitals in Kent.  It lists all the hospitals, with members of staff and general information about each one.  It would be an invaluable resource  for anyone looking for a hospital in Kent about which there appears to be  no other record.  Can’t figure out how to add the link from my iPad but googling would likely bring it up.

Hazel C

charlie962

I see it was published in 1915 so covers only the early days ( about 10 mths). But a lot of staff names, as you say. Here is the link to archive.org

Thanks for posting

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

hazelclark

Thanks for that.  I did realise the date but many of those places lasted the entire war and it may give some people, like me, a place to start.

H

petestarling

The Museum of Military Medicine has a large album about the Kent VAD hospitals. Very interesting a worth a look at.

hazelclark

Thanks Pete.  Unfortunately, they appear to be situated in Aldershot, which isn’t exactly an afternoon drive for me.  However,  as there were a couple of RAMC physicians in our family, it may well be worth a visit when I am in Britain in the Fall.

Hazel