Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC/RAF service of Charles Crombie

ScottMontoya

I am in the process of researching the cartoonist Charles Crombie; for those of you who play golf, he was the cartoonist responsible for the 'Rules of Golf' cartoon series, which amonst other things was used to advertise Perrier water. I understand from my limited researches that he was possibly NCO aircrew. Unfortunatley his WW1 service medals and other associated paperwork was sold on an internet auction site several years ago, but I have not been able to trace the buyer. Any help on how I can get started on finding out more would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for the information and for pointing me to this other website. The first possibility would appear to be the gentleman concerned. The date of birth is not quite correct but his wife's name and date of marriage is a fit, and his profession is 'artist'.

Now I need to find out what a 'labourer' and 'balloon observer' did! I assume that '45 B Sec' is the 45th Balloon Section?

45 Balloon Section was part of 12 Balloon Company, which in turn was part of 3 Balloon Wing

The observer was the guy who went up in the basket and reported back on enemy positions and allied battery fire etc

16 hours ago, ScottMontoya said:

Unfortunately his WW1 service medals and other associated paperwork was sold on an internet auction site several years ago, but I have not been able to trace the buyer. Any help on how I can get started on finding out more would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi

I am not the current owner of these medals but if you contact me via pm I can put you in touch with the person that acquired them a few years ago.

Steve

Wow Steve, they say the world can be a small place but this is really interesting news. I will try and work out the messaging system!

Thank you.

• 6 months later...

Hi,Scott.

Have only just found your posting re Charles Crombie. My wife and I knew Crombie during the last ten years of his life and we have some of his original artwork.

Graham