Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Musketry Returns: KRRC and Rifle Brigade

51st Sikhs

I am looking to see what the returns were for both Regiments for the years 1913-14. This would be eight regular battalions and was curious of what their overall respective standards were. One account I read recently, I believe in Adrian Gilbert's book on the BEF, in August 1914 mentions a German participant's account (who belonged to a Jager unit  that opposed the 2nd RB) mentions the musketry of the latter unit and was full of praise. 

Any help?

Edited by 51st Sikhs

Have a look through this thread: 

I’ve seen it before when Martin was here but am looking for specifics. Thanks all the same. 

38 minutes ago, 51st Sikhs said:

I’ve seen it before when Martin was here but am looking for specifics. Thanks all the same. 

You're kidding, right? You can find the R.B. and K.R.R.C. specifics in their respective Chronicles, which I believe are referred to several times in the thread.

Dave, I am afraid not. You misunderstood what I am after. I am looking for prewar tables for the years 1913-14 for ALL EIGHT REGULAR battalions of BOTH Regiments which I mentioned above. Besides, I know the thread very well and read it avidly before posting this query. They are not mentioned specifically. Hence the question. However if you wish to go through all 27 pages (I saw one of two of your posts) and if you found what I maybe missed I’ll be delighted. 

Thanks for your trouble. 

Edited by 51st Sikhs

This is indeed what I’m looking for. I’ll just have to trawl through both RB and KRRC chronicles to dig them out. They’re available online now via University of Michigan. 

Thanks. 

You're welcome.

Yahya,

Best of luck with that one. The 1913 Chronicle only has the 1st RB as shown by Dave. The 1914 Chronicle is a little more concerned with other matters, such as a war that cropped up.

Andy

I’ve just discovered that so 1910-1913 would have to do to compare the two Regiments and see how each stood.  Thanks as always. 

1914 KRRC Chronicle, like the RB version, does not follow the usual peacetime structure and does not even have sections for the 3rd and 4th battalions.

I don't yet possess the 1910-1913 volumes and cannot reach them via Hathi due to bogus copyright issues.

Earlier volumes follow the same pattern as the RB equivalents examples of which Andy has already posted.

Be aware also that riflemen of the KRRC and the RB also regularly entered shooting competitions as a joint Rifle Depot or Green Jacket team, and, as one would expect given the importance laid on musketry by the two rifle regiments, generally doing rather well.

Mark

Ah! That’s the nub of the matter,  important to know that they entered as an joint entity when competing against the rest of the Army. So is it safe to say that the standard of musketry was uniform between the two Regiments? It would seem so. 

Thanks GD - I can see some serious ribbing coming my way from Mr Pay :D

Mark

Mark:D,

I need to say nothing, the results are the proof in the pudding. Oh dear, never mind. What with the identity crisis the KRRC had with continually changing names and now musketry deficiency, well :ph34r: it's all good clean fun.

RSM Jagger, 2/KRRC - winner of King's Medal for Champion Shot in the Army 1925 and 1927 ...

5960d850cf6d1_JAGGERRSMW2-KRRCalso6th8th

;)