Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Patch Memorial Stolen

sajackr

On a similar vein, a CWGC gardener told me a little while ago that someone had been stealing the rose plants from the cemetery.

Peter

I would say, unbelievable, but in today's world..... probably not.

rest in Peace Harry, it will be replaced.

I agree it's sickening, of course, but theft has been a fact of life since the dawn of time, and will remain so. It's not a phenomenon of "today's world."

Indeed. All the more puzzling as it's stone so has no resale (who'd buy it??) or scrap value.

Unbelievable. 

Dave 

don't know if you would call me cynical... but, in the area do headstones in civilian cemeteries cost a lot?  maybe should check next time in Doullens as there is a shop opposite the cemetery. reason for mentioning is , my old business landlord died and they did not put a headstone on his grave (family fueds). the one placed a year later now looks (4 years later) as old as the 1950's ones do. I swear it has signs of writing on the back. as his son was a builder/stone mason, I wouldn't have put it past him to get a 'used' one or made himself a concrete one!!

This has been all over Twitter for the last few days.  A go fund me page was set up, for funds to replace it and has already surpassed it’s target.

Message copied and pasted from the page.

Dear backers! Thank you for your incredible support in replacing Harry's memorial stone. It's humbling to see he's remembered by so many. We're grateful you allow us to continue spreading his message this way. Our target has been reached so we are shortly going to place an order with the local stone mason in Langemark. The council of Langemark-Poelkapelle will put the stone in place and maintain the site. We will keep you updated of course on the progress. Once the money is our account, we will close the fund. Much appreciated on behalf of Harry's friends in Belgium and the UK. - Simon Louagie, Peace Village Hostel, organiser.

Mandy

:poppy:

It might not have been stolen for financial gain. Some people are so determined to have unique items in their collection they will get an item even when they know its stolen; just look at those who buy stolen art works by famous artists knowing they can never let someone else know they’ve got it.

There will never be another memorial unveiled by Harry Patch so someone could have a unique item in their collection.

34 minutes ago, Lee Bradbury said:

It might not have been stolen for financial gain. Some people are so determined to have unique items in their collection they will get an item even when they know its stolen; just look at those who buy stolen art works by famous artists knowing they can never let someone else know they’ve got it.

There will never be another memorial unveiled by Harry Patch so someone could have a unique item in their collection.

Well they'd better not steal it again, now that I helped (a little) to pay for it!

I do hope they track down the culprit.

Great response to the crowdfunding appeal, reached the target in little over 48 hours. Sad that it had to be done.

Regards

Ian

1 minute ago, eairicbloodaxe said:

I do hope they track down the culprit.

And if so that he/she/they will be punished. Somehow I doubt it though.

• 3 months later...

Sorry if I'm being pedantic but I think the new stone could have been done better. The spacing of the middle two lines rather spoils the appearance in my opinion. It's great to see the replacement stone in place all the same. I just hope the turd who nicked the original gets his comeuppance.

That's good news!!! 

one reason more to walk back there one day! 

and as to the culprit ... Moet ik dy op zyn bek raamje ???? - that's Fries ... but I think it's what we all think... 

M.

I know memorials get replaced due to natural weathering, accidental damage or historical damage eg the armistice train at Compiègne all manor of explainable reasons are there for replacing a memorial.

The sad thing is, no matter how well intentioned the replacement with this is, this memorial will never have been laid by Harry. It was never given by Harry, nor did he lay it.. the original is in some toe rags possession. It will always be seen as a replacement due to some scumbag.

You can get upset as much as you like but it does not solve anything. What is the thief going to do with it?  He, she or it is not going to be able flog it. Memorials can be replaced but memories last for ever.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• 1 year later...

According to a Talbot House tweet, the original memorial has been found and is henceforth going to be displayed in the garden at Toc H. There were no details about the circumstances of its recovery. 

Edited by Mark Hone

Interesting... I hope the thief has been made aware of the consequences of his actions..

or else got a good whack around his ears... 

M.

On 01/11/2018 at 15:50, CorporalPunishment said:

Sorry if I'm being pedantic but I think the new stone could have been done better. The spacing of the middle two lines rather spoils the appearance in my opinion. It's great to see the replacement stone in place all the same. I just hope the turd who nicked the original gets his comeuppance.

Only the 11th turd in the recorded history of the GWF.

I suppose this is the twelfth.

On 01/11/2018 at 15:50, CorporalPunishment said:

It is not as nicely done as the original that is true and Harry didn’t lay the stone but at least there is something there.  Perhaps if the original has been found it might be returned to its rightful place. 

I quite agree that if the original can be put back in situ then it should be