Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private George Henry Mann

SmithToton

I'm trying to research my Great Uncle Private George Henry Mann - 41130 The King's Own ( Royal Lancaster Regiment ).

I have found a certificate stating " Served with honour and was disabled in the Great War" signed by George R J.

My Mum says he had a problem with his arm.

I would like to find out where he was in WW1 ( which brigade, division etc ) and possibly how & when he got injured ?

Quick check shows Silver War Badge roll - date of enlistment 15/8/17 discharge 30/5/19 wounded 392. (XV1) Kings Reg's and served overseas , also received BWM and VM 

served in 8th KORL  where was he from? Will try look at war diary a sap but others may help sooner

Kings Reg's Confirms he was wounded - no longer physically fit for service.  He might be on the sick and wounded lists which members researching these can advise

Thanks for the info. He was from Long Eaton, on the Nottinghamshire / Derbyshire border.

On the bottom of the certificate is says: "having previously served during the War in the Notts and Derby Regiment"

• Admin

It seems he was one of a batch of men who transferred from the Notts & Derby Regiment to the KORLR (8th Bn) upon arriving in France in May 1918 at K IBD (Calais)

Here is a snippet from the record of Charles Mortimer, who was given the next KORLR service number of 41131.

I assume your man was also an 18 year old when called up to the Training Reserve eventually joining the 53rd (Young Soldier) Bn and then the 52nd (Graduated) Bn of the N&D Reg before being posted to France in May 1918.

Would be worth looking at this and other surviving records for men with near KORLR service numbers.

Regards

Russ

41131.JPG

Edited by RussT

Hi SmithToton,

It looks like he appeared on a casualty list of the 10th December 1918 - see the last but one hit of page 1 here. That would seem to imply that he was wounded very shortly before the armistice. You could have a look in the Bn war diary on the off chance (albeit unlikely) that he is specifically mentioned - link here. Failing that you could look for surviving service records for men who appear in the report (especially those from the same regiment) to see if there is a commonality of wounding dates (give or take a couple of days) from which you could make a reasonable inference, and then cross reference to the war diary.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Thanks, is there anyway of finding where he was fighting  - was it France or Belgium without having to buy the War Diary - I'm not a member of Ancestry or Find My Past yet ? 

Thanks very much for the info - so being as he's on the casualty list for Dec 1918 I will assume he was wounded either at Rumilly / Battle of Selle / Masnieres / Romieres as there were all in October. 

I'll have a look at those places.

• Admin

If you look at the medal roll for KORLR men with near services numbers to Mann, you will spot they are in surname-alphabetical order, indicating the men in this number range were allotted their KORLR service numbers at the same time and place (as per Mortimer's record in post #5).

The alphabetical/number range in the roll spans from 41078 Ernest Bryon to 41159 Harold Willbond, and includes 41131 Mann and 41130 Mortimer (as per post #5). That's a draft of at least 82 men, all whom were posted to the 8th Bn of the KORLR.

Out of that draft, CWGC reveals that 17 men died spanning the dates between 01/06/1918 to 23/10/1918. The most common date is 27/09/1918 when 4 died. Out of these 17 men who died, 10 have their ages recorded in CWGC - they are all recorded as being either 18 or 19 years old.

A quick look in SDGW indicates they were predominantly from Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire.

Russ

Edited by RussT

Hi SmithToton,

21 minutes ago, RussT said:

That's a draft of at least 82 men, all whom were posted to the 8th Bn of the KORLR.

The record of the chap that Russ referred to in post number 5 shows that he joined the battalion in the field on 18th May 1918. The war diary entry for that date records that a draft of 125 Other Ranks "arrived from England".

Regards

Chris