Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African Service papers WW1

2li

Hello I am researching soldiers from my country of Shropshire who served and died with the South African and East African forces in WW1 

Can any one help me with copies of the service files of the following soldiers

Thank you kindly PHILIP

EDGAR SAMUEL SHERWOOD 3547, 3RD SOUTH AFRICAN INFANTRY

EDWIN BARNES 8653, 2ND SOUTH AFRICAN INFANTRY

ROBERT WILLIAM CARBUTT 693, SOUTH AFRICAN HEAVY ARTILLERY

HAROLD THORNE S/851, SOUTH AFRICAN SERVICE CORPS

WILLIAM JOSEPH BELLASIS 115, EAST AFRICAN MOUNTED RIFLES 

EDWARD HUGH MAINWARING FURLEY 351,EAST AFRICAN MOUNTED RIFLES 

RALPH HENRY LEEKE, 4 KING AFRICAN RIFLES

Audrey may be along soon, she has always helped me out ww1 & ww2

info at rhino-research dot co dot za
rhinoresearch32 at gmail dot com

remove the dot and ats replace with symbols

Edited by chaz

5 hours ago, chaz said:

Audrey may be along soon, she has always helped me out ww1 & ww2

info at rhino-research dot co dot za

I have previously seen Audrey Portman's name mentioned in connection with South African research. Does she also do research in East African archives for the  East African regiments,  King's African Rifles and East African Mounted Rifles?

Cheers

Maureen

14 hours ago, kenmorrison said:

Have you looked here?

http://www.southafricawargraves.org/search/index.php

I haven't checked them all but Sherwood's details are there

http://www.southafricawargraves.org/search/details.php?id=22948

Click on the photos for more details.

Ken

Hello Ken

thanks for reply yes I first go there and found the details they provided it was the service files I was hoping to get help with

cheers again

PHIL

9 hours ago, Maureene said:

I have previously seen Audrey Portman's name mentioned in connection with South African research. Does she also do research in East African archives for the  East African regiments,  King's African Rifles and East African Mounted Rifles?

Cheers

Maureen

Maureene

as far as I know she does WW1, WW2 and Korea out of the SADF Archives , best thing is to drop her an email

I have received complete, digitised records of WW1 army service - free of charge - from the archives in South Africa. They do take quite a while to respond. In my most recent case I did not hear anything at all - not even a "we have your request" - and then the record arrived, over a year after my enquiry was submitted. But even so, a valuable service.

On 4 July 2018 they wrote saying "Kindly note our new email address is archive@dod.mil.za"

Department of Defence
Command and Management Information System Division
Documentation Centre
Private Bag X289
Pretoria

Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 08:00 – 16:00

Reading Room Hours: Tuesday – Thursday, 08:00 – 16:00

Telephone: (+27) 012 670 8000

Facsimile: (+27) 012 670 8001

Edited by Chris_Baker

• 1 month later...

Chris,

Inspired by your Post above, I wrote to the contact you provided.

Today I received an e-mail containing Fritz W. Bagott's service file; excellent service!

John

• 3 months later...

I have an interest in EDWARD HUGH MAINWARING FURLEY 351,EAST AFRICAN MOUNTED RIFLES 

His NOK Memorial Plaque was uncovered recently in South Wales and handed to myself.  I would like to try to put this in the hands of any relatives that may be found.

If you do uncover any living relatives during your research I would greatly appreciate the information

13 minutes ago, Steve701 said:

I have an interest in EDWARD HUGH MAINWARING FURLEY 351,EAST AFRICAN MOUNTED RIFLES 

His NOK Memorial Plaque was uncovered recently in South Wales and handed to myself.  I would like to try to put this in the hands of any relatives that may be found.

If you do uncover any living relatives during your research I would greatly appreciate the information

Welcome to the Forum Steve,

It appears that Edward Furley was Killed in Action at Longido on 2/11/14 whilst serving as a Cpl with the E.A.M.R.  His MIC (medal index card) gives an address in Essex but it seems that he was born in 1886 at Hinton Hall, Plerly, Pontesbury, Shropshire.  In his Will he left £3695, which was a tidy sum in those days.

It is possible that there may still be connections with Shropshire within the family but you may need to contact the Shropshire Archives for further information. 

Hope this helps,

Robert

Steve,

If you would like some images from the history of the EAMR relating to the action at Longido where Edward Furley was killed, then drop me a PM with an email address and I can send some over.  He receives a couple of mentions in the text.

Best,

Robert 

• 3 years later...

Hi guys

I have been trying to get info on a Charles Evan Parry Hitchin who served in South Africa between 1899 and 1902 and who married and had 2 children there in 1903 and 1905 and apparently died there in 1919. I haven't access to a lot of military info and am no kind of expert on searhcing for military info but I did see the info above about contacting the archives in south Africa via this email address archive@dod.mil.za

Unfortunately this email addres just bounces back as not available and so I'm asking is there now a new email address to contact these archives. Fingers crossed that someone will know.

Thank you in advance :-)

Have you called the Department of Defence in Pretoria on the telephone?
Failing that, the likes of Rhino Research can do the research for a fee. These professional researchers have assisted a lot of people researching South African WW1 combatants.