Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'D' Battery 83rd Brigade Royal Field Artillery

Allan1892

Good Morning,

I am researching the short life of Thomas Tudor Thorp. Unfortunately his service record has not survived but his medal card shows that he initially served as Gunner 126923 and then commissioned to 2nd Lieutenant. His medal card also shows that he was in France by the 22 July 1916.

If anyone can help me, my questions are as follows:

1. Based on his service number, does anyone know when he enlisted.
  2. His obituary shows that he was involved in the Battle of the Somme in September and November 1916. Does anyone know the location of 'D' Battery at this time.
  3. He was killed in action on the 16 August 1917 near Glencorse Wood on the Ypres-Menin road. Does anyone know where I can find out more information.

Many thanks for any possible help.

Allan1892

Hello Allan

83 Brigade RFA was part of 18th (Eastern) Division throughout the war. The War Diary can be found online - here is the reference:

WO 95/2025 83 Brigade Royal Field Artillery 1915 July - 1919 Mar.  

It can be downloaded from the Kew website, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for about £3.50. You may need to add a suffix such as /1, /2 etc as there are other diaries in the same file. If you have access to Ancestry you may be able to get it free.

War Diaries rarely mention individuals by name other than officers, but numbers of casualties each day are nearly always given, and the location of the unit, with a short description of its activities, is given on each day.

Good hunting!

Ron

Thanks Chris,

Can't get down to the National Archives (too far) but I will drop them a line to see how much it will cost for them to provide info.

Regards,

Allan

Hi Allan,

I think that they'll be quite expensive. A local file copying service may be far more affordable. Some forum members seem to use this chap (link), and have spoken favourably about him.  I have no personal experience though.

Regards

Chris

1 hour ago, Allan1892 said:

Based on his service number, does anyone know when he enlisted.

January 1916 at "B" Reserve Bde RHA, St. Johns Wood (which became No. 1 RFA Officer Cadet School).

2nd Lieut. Thomas Tudor Thorp, RFA

Born at Alnswick, Northumberland on 5 Jun 97, the elder son of Thomas Alder Thorp of Alnwick and his wife, Elizabeth Jane, daughter of Captain Allen Peat

Educated at Aysgarth School and at Charterhouse School. from Oration Quarter 1911 to Christmas Quarter 1915

Commissioned 2nd Lieut., RFA SR on 16 Jun 16

Went to France in Jul 16

Took part in the battle of the Somme in Sept and Nov 1916

Served with 83rd Brigade, RFA

Killed in action on the Menin Road near Hooge on 16 Aug 17

There is a photo him in the third and fourth mentioned sources

Sources:

Charterhouse Register 1872-1920

Charterhouse in London

The Roll of Honour, vol. 2 (DeRuvigney)

With a Poppy and a Prayer