Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Chassepot bayonet

Stinky

Good afternoon and thank you for letting me on this forum.

I have two Chassepot bayonets, without scabbards which are, I think in poor condition. I am neither collector nor dealer and identified them by Google. What can I do with them? Are they collectable and is it legal to sell them if there was any interest? If have not attempted any cleaning of them, they are as found in my barn in France. Thank you for any advice.

1532535923563.jpg

closer photos will be helpfull to recognize them better....

3 hours ago, Stinky said:

Good afternoon and thank you for letting me on this forum.

I have two Chassepot bayonets, without scabbards which are, I think in poor condition. I am neither collector nor dealer and identified them by Google. What can I do with them? Are they collectable and is it legal to sell them if there was any interest? If have not attempted any cleaning of them, they are as found in my barn in France. Thank you for any advice.

1532535923563.jpg

Bayonets are legal to sell. They're probably from the Franco-Prussian war and they might have a date written into the spine in off the bayonet. They do have a military interest but are quite common and yours are in quite bad nick, I would recommend soaking them in a tub of vinegar to get rid of the rust. Also, lack of a scabbard decreases their value further.See the source image

Thank you Jools,I think they are a bit too shabby, and as you say they are quite common. Think I will just keep them to use on the BBQ.

5 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Thank you Jools,I think they are a bit too shabby, and as you say they are quite common. Think I will just keep them to use on the BBQ.

To be honest, I have seen worse!

rs=w_600,h_600.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

Not the barbecue!

At least check the spine dates, Franco Prussian war era ones are scarcer than the common ones from the mid 1870s.  Maker matters too, Mutzig is hard to find, but there are many others too.  Even as is, someone would want them.

Everything you could ever want to know is here:

http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/HTNL%20DOCUMNETS/1866_chassepot.htm