The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

J Meikle, VC, MM question

Steven Broomfield

Sergeant John Meikle, MM, won a posthumous VC on 20th July 1918, serving with the 1/4th Seaforthe Highlanders. His MM had been won in September 1917. At the time of his death he was aged 19, having (according to my Extensive Library) enlisted in 1914 at the age of 16.

Unfortunately, the battalion history of the 1/4th Seaforth doesn't appear to mention him other than his death (and award). The book Ross-shire Roll of Honour, which has nominal rolls of the 1/4th and 2/4th seems not to mention him, so I wonder if anyone can help.

For example, does his MIC indicate date of entry into theatre and did her serve with any other unit?  His number (200854) I suspect is a post-1916 number when the TF was re-numbered, so did he have an earlier number?

He came from Renfewshire but was in the Seaforth: I wonder if this was because he joined a unit struggling for recruits and which was less likely to worry about his years?

Any information gratefully received.

His medal roll says 4th Bn. 3156

FA33D54E-263A-4E3D-ADBE-1445EB228844.jpeg

Thanks. 3156 would indicate a TF enlistment.

The date stamps on the side of the MIC from the 1984 and 1987. The first one would have been put there by yours truly; probably due to a simple record look up . So enquiry to the Army Record Office, Hayes sent to us for medal info and anything else we had. Does not really help but a bit of trivia.

Edited by Mark1959

Interesting nonetheless

Thanks. The Ross-shire Roll has chaps with slightly higher numbers in the 2/4th, and as the book is dated later than Aubers Ridge (a list of casualties is included) I find it a little odd he seems not to be on any list (1/4th, 2/4th or 3/4th).

3 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Thanks. The Ross-shire Roll has chaps with slightly higher numbers in the 2/4th, and as the book is dated later than Aubers Ridge (a list of casualties is included) I find it a little odd he seems not to be on any list (1/4th, 2/4th or 3/4th).

#3154 was issued to 4th Bn on 3 Feb 15 so fits the right time period with the war gratuity for Meikle.

Craig