Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Laurence Rowntree

kerry

Dear All,

am starting up research for a future article for Stand To! on Laurence Rowntree and why he took up arms having first joined the Friends Ambulance Unit. He then went on to see action with the Tank Regiment at Corcelles before going on to be Commissioned then being killed in action.

Any pointers to help fill in gaps greatly appreciated.

Kerry

• 5 years later...

The Forum's a funny place - have been searchng for Creme de Menthe crew for some while and missed this post completely

As Kerry says, Lawrence served first with the Friends Ambulance, deploying overseas on 14 Nov 1914 to Dunkirk at the age of 19 years. Within two years, he is on the Somme as a Tank Crewman - with what appears to be a MGC (Cavalry) number His MIC shows that he was then commissioned into the RFA but I cant locate his commissioing record in the London Gazette - the MIC gives the date as 2? Nov 1917 and yet the CWGC site shows his death as before that, being killed on 25 Nov whilst serving with A Bty 26 bde RFA and buried at Vlamerteringhe

I can only asume that his anguish owing casualties caused him to takr up arms. Was this a common thing amongst the Friends and were they barred from their "church" for so doing

Stephen

• 4 years later...

How did your research go, Kerry? I Googled 'Laurence Rowntree Tank Regiment' and up came your post and Delta's reply. He is remembered on our village war memorial and I am researching him and the other 26 men whose names appear on it. Lesley

For those who wish to know more about this remarkable man

Born 4 Mar 95 at York. the son of John Wilhelm Rowntree (a chocolate factory director) and Constance Margaret Rowntree, who built Low Hall, Scalby near Scarborough and the grandson of Joseph Rowntree the chocolate manufacturer and social reformer. Laurie’s father died in New York in 1905 at the age of 36,

Laurie was educated at Bootham School – a Quaker boarding school in York - from 1907 to 12. He visited America (RMS Olympic leaving Southampton on 19
th
September 12, he returned to Liverpool on 6 June 13 and entered King College Cambridge in Oct 13 to study medicine. On the outbreak of war, he joined the Friends Ambulance and with some 60 young Quakers mainly undergraduates from Oxford and Cambridge Undertook pre-deployment training (first aid, stretcher drill, field cookery, sanitation and hygiene) for some six weeks at Jordans, the Quaker centre in Buckinghamshire. The FAU were then sent home.

Towards the end of Oct, the FAU was called up to assist the plight of the Belgian Army. The group deployed in two groups, Laurie deployed on 31 Oct ‘14 and served at Dunkirk initially treating French casualties. His party later established a presence at Furnes, then at Ypres by the mid of Nov again supporting the French forces. His main roll was transporting supplies to / from Dunkirk then the coast and Poperinghe and then between Poperinghe and Ypres and the villages to the south and east - he was regularly under fire After Christmas 14, as a result of his car being unserviceable, he again acted as a hospital orderly. In the middle of Jan 15, having suffered from influenza, he was granted eight days leave. He retuned to Belgium and again acted as a driver transporting supplies. By this time, the role of the FAU had switched to caring for the civilian Belgian population He was near Ypres, at the start of the second battle when gas was first used and the FAU was tasked to provide support to the British forces in the Salient. He again worked as a driver and was in Dunkirk when it was targeted by a 17” German naval gun as well as being bombed by German aircraft and shelled in the Salient.

After 10 months overseas, including time at Caestre, he became disillusioned as he felt he was no longer contributing. He returned to York and worked at the Haxby Rd Military Hospital in York – this building had formerly been the Rowntree factory dining room – as was used by wounded British soldiers. Unlike many other Quakers he did not register as a conscientious objector but volunteered to join the Army, He was enlisted by Geoffrey Smith at Coventry on 16 May and approved for the MMGS. Medical examination on same day confirms height 5’ 8¾”; weight 163 lbs and 36 inch chest. Attested at Bullhouse Farm Camp Bisley on 23 May 16, aged 21 years 2 months and 15 days; witnessed by DM Birkbeck. After initial tank training at Thetford, he deployed to France with C Coy on 16 Aug 16 and slightly injured during the first action on 15 Sep. Medical record confirms small wounds in RH Buttock probably from shrapnel; The York press dated 27 Sep reports he was shot by a sniper and evacuated back to the UK, being hospitalised in Edinburgh. (Record confirms sent home on 16 Sep 16; arrived Royal Infirmary at Edinburgh on 20 September – discharged to st Leonards Hospital Edinburgh on 11 Oct and discharged on 3 November. He was granted leave from 3 to 13 Nov 16. On 25 Nov 16, he was posted to B Coy of C Bn (at Bovington not in France).

He was recommended by Sir Frederick Milner for a commission. Proceeded to RA Cadet School at Topsham Bks Exeter on 5 Jan 17. After officer training he was commissioned on 12 April 17 into the RFA, was trained at Bordon and deployed back to France on 15 July 17. Must have been in action throughout the whole of 3rd Battle of Ypres. Granted UK leave 25 Oct to 3 Nov 17. Whilst serving with A Bty 26 Bde RFA, he was
KIA in the Ypres Salient on 25 Nov 17
and buried at Vlamertinghe. Probate granted to his mother but medals gifted to Dorothy Cross of 142 the Mount York.

Stephen

Thank you so much for your speedy reply which has filled in a lot of the gaps in what I have discovered about Lawrence Rowntree. I have now discovered that he was engaged to Dorothy Cross. He was of course one of the first tank crews and was in 'Creme de Menthe' when injured on 15 September 1916 in the attack on the Courcelette sugar factory, in support of the 2nd Canadian Division. I may be able to obtain a photo of him from Bootham School but can you suggest wherelse I might look?

Thanks again.

Lesley

Hello Leslie

I did not know he was engaged to Dorothy; can you tell me any more about her?

Try the Rowntree Society for a picture; I am fairly sure they have one

Stephen

Thanks, Stephen. I've contacted the Rowntree Society. I know very little about Dorothy Cross but her father was an interesting man. (Elihu) Richard Cross (1864-1916) was Clerk to the Scarborough Magistrates for 18 years, a town councillor for 4 years and joined the Society of Friends in 1898 though he was previously a Methodist (his father had been a Methodist lay preacher). He joined the Rowntree company in York and was secretary to the 'Bryce Group' which developed ideas for a post-war League of Nations. He had been involved in the Schreiner Riots in Scarborough in 1900 when he and members of the Rowntree family, including the town's then MP, Joshua Rowntree, had invited a Mr Schreiner to address a meeting regarding the causes of the Boer War but the patriotic folk of the town presumed he was a Boer, because of his Swiss-German name and attacked the Rowntree shops. Some stormed off to the Cross family home, where a 4 year old Dorothy would have been with her mother Sarah (known as 'Sally' by Arnold Stephenson Rowntree and his wife) but Sally bravely turned them away even though Mr Schreiner was inside. Sally knew Constance Rowntree, Lawrence's mother, who lived in nearby Scalby where many of the Cross family came from so it is not hard to work out how Lawrence and Dorothy met.

I shall continue to research Dorothy!

Lesley

That's superb information - thank you

Stephen

Lesley

If she did not marry after Lawrie's death, it is possible she died in 1979 at Thornbury in Gloucs. The date if birth is given as 28 Sep 1893

Got her! Dorothy Cross married Philip Alan Burtt in Scarborough in 1932 and died near Clapham in the Yorkshire Dales on 27 June 1963. He didn't die until February 1991, in York.

Lesley

Good spot and well done.

I'm glad she married -and hopefully had a little better life.

One hears so many stories of sweethearts, who men were killed, and never married