Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Miller: number of drills?

Herman Joustra

Hello,

For a little more than about a year I have been searching for information about James Miller, who served as a volunteer for the Royal Navy (Nelson, second Battalion), Guess what? I recently found his to grand-daughters who live in the USA now. They have send me, amongst other things, a copy of his service certificate. Very interesting.

He fought ant Antwerp in October 1914, was cut of from his troops when the city fell, fled to the Netherlands and was interned then.

By the way, he lied about his age ( I already knew that), so his date of birth is not correct.

But what I would like to know is: what exactly does number of drills mean? Did very type of drill have a certain number or is it the amount of drills? In case of the latter: where there that many drills for a volunteer? How long were these drills (hours, days or even weeks)? When were they held: weekends?

Any information is highly appreciated

Service certificate Miller, 1.jpg

Service certificate Miller, 2.jpg

Service certificate Miller, 3.jpg

Service certificate Miller, 4.jpg

Peacetime drills were held at the Divisional HQ or drill hall. These varied from division to division. In this case probably at the Govan HQ of the No.3 Company of Clyde Division. Volunteers were required to attend forty drills in the first year of service and twenty-five in each subsequent year. The training emphasis was on gunnery with a leavening of basic seamanship (boatwork, knots, bends, hitches). Local drills were supplemented by training periods in HM Ships.

A correction: Nelson Battalion was the 5th Battalion (2nd (RN) Brigade) of the RND. Note that in March 1918, while Miller was on one month's leave in England, he was administratively transferred to Benbow Battalion RND (in internment), Nelson Battalion having been disbanded in France the previous month.

Thank you very much! Most helpful. So 25 each subsequent year? So the right numbers on his certificate must have been 46, 3, 24 and 24. For the year 1912 the first number seemed a 7 to me. But that would mean 74 drills that year. Seems a bit too much.

And you are right about Nelson being 5th battalion. 

By the way. The HMS Natal must have been the ship on which he went to Belgium in 1914? Or the Victory III?

12 minutes ago, Herman Joustra said:

74 drills that year. Seems a bit too much.

Perhaps just a keen rating who attended drills one day in five (on average).

I'm not sure if  I understand what you mean. Do you mean maybe a mistake was made, filling in this certificate?

No. I mean that he attended drills three times more often than the minimum (25) he was required to attend. I do not consider this attentiveness to his duty was "a bit too much". I am sure many men enjoyed not just the naval ambiance but also the social aspects of being in the RNVR. (Or perhaps he just needed to get away from "her indoors".)