Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Skipman

Help required French Map Ref coordinates

Skipman

I'm sure there are threads on this. Which software would I need to overlay maps on google earth. Would a map moron of my level manage it?

Mike

Martin Feledziak

Here is a handy youtube video which is fairly good.

It is done with a mac but the presentation is OK.

It will give you a good idea of how to do it.

Skipman

Thanks Martin, will check it out.

Mike

Skipman

I don't suppose you guys have a map that gives location Jonchery-Sur-Vesle 1:20,000 220.4x 267.8 do you?

Mike

JOVE23

Hello Skip et al:

Life Lesson #1: Lambert maps are an absolute b*stard.

I've spoken with a gentleman who I suspect to be an expert on the subject and he provided me the following information. If anyone who is smarter than me wants to try to run this through a GIS program they're more than welcome to it. I've used the Nord de Guerre projection but it seems to be off.

The système Lambert projection is a Lambert Conformal Conic with standard parallels at 47.7° N and 52.3° N, central meridian at 7.737229° E, latitude of origin 49.5° N, false easting 500000, and false northing 300000. I got these values from the French survey reports published just after the war (and converting French grades to degrees).

I see you've previously received a copy of a Jonchery map, but what it didn't include (at least publicly) was the edges that would give the base coordinates to do a plot. If you can send that to me, I can put you on the right track and double check the work Howard did.

JOVE23

Fun homework assignment!

Here's a trig list the French used for their maps. Maybe a map fiend can cross reference WGS84 lat longs to this madness.

trig list.jpg

Skipman

By Jove23, I need a map, I'm lost :D

The only map I have is the one from the brigade diary Click Howard is the man with the French maps. At a guess, how far out is our mark in post #16  likely to be?

Thanks for your input, appreciate it.

JOVE23

As far as the first set of coordinates, I'd say it's bang on. I've marked the area in a red halo, as I believe these coordinates are on a grid system and not an exact coordinate system, so anything in that ring would most likely be "snapped" to those coordinates. 

Here's the Jonchery-sur-Vesle map. I cannot read the side coordinates so i can't give you a good fix yet. Maybe Howard can dig up a better version?

Best,

Justin

James-Campbell-1.png

James-Campbell-2.png

Skipman

Merci beaucoup monsieur Justin.

Mike

Edited by Skipman

r.m.willis

This is the wood which was taken on 1st August from both sides, as part of the capture of the ridge above BEUGNEUX.  it's only when you stand on top of the hill above Beugneux, do you really appreciate how strategically significant it was to the Germans.

Hill 158.PNG

Hill 158 - Wood.png

Hill 158 - from visit.PNG

Skipman

Been studying this in a bit more detail recently and it is now blindingly obvious to me that this feature is "Hill 158" the very one that the 1/5th A & SH took on 1/8/1918

Mike

r.m.willis
On 12/04/2019 at 10:51, Skipman said:

Been studying this in a bit more detail recently and it is now blindingly obvious to me that this feature is "Hill 158" the very one that the 1/5th A & SH took on 1/8/1918

Mike

Exactly correct. I walked this last year and it is a small hill just south of Beugneux that was flanked on both sides. It held multiple German MG nests and overlooked the whole advance.  It is thickly wooded these days and there was a rather large bull protecting the entrance.

But you can still see shell holes and slit trenches on the ground. Although the hill isn’t very high (only a couple a metres above surrounding area) it does afford excellent views of the advance since the approach is entirely flat.

Skipman

Excellent r.m.willis, thanks for the confirmation.

Mike

r.m.willis
Just now, Skipman said:

Excellent r.m.willis, thanks for the confirmation.

Mike

You’re welcome.

i just looked through my photos from 2018 & the only one I have is of the very large & imposing bull! 

I am there again next month so will take some more snaps and post them.

Skipman
2 minutes ago, r.m.willis said:

the only one I have is of the very large & imposing bull!  He'll be a big pussycat :D

I am there again next month so will take some more snaps and post them. That would be great.

Mike

Skipman

Does anyone know how to pronounce Beugneux?

My guess Bo-nyu (U as in luck)

Mike

r.m.willis
15 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Does anyone know how to pronounce Beugneux?

My guess Bo-nyu (U as in luck)

Mike

I go with Ber Ner or bern yer depending on my mood

Skipman
1 hour ago, r.m.willis said:

I go with Ber Ner or bern yer depending on my mood

Ask the locals when you're there. :thumbsup:

Mike

Don Regiano
3 hours ago, Skipman said:

Ask the locals when you're there. :thumbsup:

Mike

I tried that to obtain a definitive answer for Mametz.  The first I got was Ma-metz; the second was Ma-may.  So no nearer finding out!

Skipman
6 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

I tried that to obtain a definitive answer for Mametz.  The first I got was Ma-metz; the second was Ma-may.  So no nearer finding out!

I think Ma-may is correct.

Mike

Don Regiano
9 hours ago, Skipman said:

I think Ma-may is correct.

Mike

That was my original thought Mike but then I was reminded of the pronunciation of the town (city?) of Metz.

Reg