Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

cap badge

daveh55

I found this cap badge in an old tin of my grandfathers he served in WW1 and I had an uncle that served in WW2 but both of them served with the south lancs no idea of where it came from but must of ment something to my grandfather for him to keep it.i would be very grateful for any information date etc 

regards dave

IMG_0918.JPG

It is the badge of the Bedfordshire Regiment which became the Beds and Herts in 1919.  What S Lancs battalion did your grandfather serve in?  It may be that he fought alongside a Bedfords battalion, for example both 6th Bn S Lancs and 5th Bn Bedfords served at Gallipoli.

Max

I do believe this is the brass economy badge of the Bedford's, circa 1916.

Chris

It’s not impossible that he served with the Bedford’s unless you have documented proof otherwise.  Many infantrymen who were wounded in the years after 1916, were returned to the units most in need of reinforcement after they had completed their convalescence and been posted to an Infantry Base Depot in F&F.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

he was in the 4th batt south lancs john Edward Harrison TA number 4581 later changed to 202280

Edited by daveh55

No clue in his medal records which have only S Lancs or the remnant of his discharge papers that is left (which has him in 1/5th S Lancs on discharge in 1919).

Max