Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Professional Footballers Killed in WW1

Terry Carter

Hi folks

Does anyone know of a list of names of professional footballers that were killed during the Great War and what football clubs they played for?

Thanks

Terry

Hi folks

Does anyone know of a list of names of professional footballers that were killed during the Great War and what football clubs they played for?

Thanks

Terry

I dont know of any definitive list but we did have a thread on this about 9/12 months ago and several names of professional footballers were put forward as having been killed during the war. Try the search option.

Terry,

Heres one for you, a local to me.

Lance Corporal, SPTS/1725, Harry OWEN, 23rd Royal Fusiliers (Sportsmans Battalion)

Born at Sulgrave, Northants, Harry Owen lived at 2 Horace Road, Southend-on-Sea, and was a well known professional footballer, playing centre half for Southend United. He enlisted at Hornchurch in May 1915 and was killed in action in France on 13th March 1916, being buried at Souchez. Second Corporal Turner of 52 Gordon Road, Southend-on-Sea, who was married to his twin sister called into the Southend Standard office whilst on leave and gave the following account of his death: "At the time Harry Owen met his death his Regiment was stationed to the right of the Royal Fusiliers. Owen was on duty as a sentry from three o'clock to four o'clock in the morning, and at 3.55am - five minutes before he would have been relieved - a trench mortar bomb came over. Owen saw it coming and gave a warning to his section, with the result that he saved the lives of three parts of his section. The mortar however burst right in front of him, inflicting fourty or fifty wounds on the unfortunate man. He was not killed outright, but lived about an hour in an unconscious condition, and then passed peacefully away."

The chaplain Rev. A.G.Duthin wrote: "It is my sad duty to write and tell you that your son Lance Corporal H. Owen 1725, was killed in action on the 13th. He was with his battalion in the trenches and met his death instantly. I buried him together with others of his comrades, in an orchard set aside as the cemetery set aside for British troops near the lines where he fell. His comrades have erected an admirable cross to mark the spot where he was laid to rest, inscibed with his name etc. I can but add my word of sympathy to those expressed by the men who knew him best. It is indeed a very high price in valuable lives that is demanded of the nation before the peace of the world can be restored. You will always be able to treasure the memory of your son, in company with many others who laid down their lives at the call of duty-the call of King, country and God. My servant Private Daywood, has just been in and told me of his friendship for your son, whom he knew personally. His sympathy for you in your sad bereavement is as genuine as that of all of us who knew the life and work of your boy. May God give you and yours strength to bear the sorrow which has been laid upon you."

His nephews Goerge and Fred Owen both lost their lives in the war.

Southend Standard 23/3/16 for obit and photo, 16/4/16 obit.

Andy

SDGW states Edwin Burton 11th. Middlesex Regt died 1.8.16, but does not seem to appear on CWGC. Am I mistaken?

Bob,

Cannot see him on the CWGC either

Andy

Thanks for the above answers.

If anyone knows of players or former players of Birmingham City FC that were killed in WW1, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks again

Terry