Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20th liverpool regiment

veklee

hi does anyone know where to find the war diary for 20 Liverpool rgt from feb 18 -November 18 ?

ancestry has the above looked 30div  or 89 brigade on NA but no luck

thank 

barry

Unlikely to find it since they were disbanded France Feb 1918  !  (source LongLongTrail)

It was broken up and dispersed to 17th, 18th and 19th Bns. There was though a tendancy for men, after this across-the-Army reorganisation, often to keep referring to themselves by their old battalion number. Perhaps this is what you are finding ?

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

You may still find it worthwhile plodding through the WD up the disbandment of the battalion on 28th February 1918. If a man won any sort of award it was usually only awarded some time after the event-and the actual award may be noted in a WD.  I too had a casualty(E.L.Hill.MM)   with the MM who was listed with a battalion of the Essex Regiment and a  casualty of the 1918 offensives. It was only when his name popped up in the WD of the 13th Essex (West Ham Pals) as being awarded the MM by a divisional general (along with others)- when I was reading the diary looking  for someone else- that I realised just how higgledy-piggldey MM awards are. 13th Essex were similarly  disbanded in France in January 1918-and tripping over this man's award was the first indication I had that he had served in the previous battalion.

we think he might have served with 13th battalion but as usual can find em on ancestry there at NA thanks for replies

barry