Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification needed

Lee Bradbury

Could someone tell me about the last medal on the right (viewed from the obverse side) please?

Ive been told it’s Italian but would a Commonwealth Soldier be issued this medal?

Thanks in advance.

F99FC8FF-C6CE-4D86-8C98-EB586303FF13.jpeg

Courtesy of Wikipedia 

http://www.gwpda.org/medals/italmedl/italy.html

Guerra-.JPGMedaglia Dell Guerra 1915-1918 (War Medal 1915-1918) Awarded for participation to the 1st World War. This medal was instituted on 29 July 1920 and replaced a ribbon bar, introduced on 21 May 1916, which was awarded after 1 year service in a war zone. Additional war service years were indicated by a small silver star.
In 1920 this ribbon was replaced by the medal and a number of bars are attached to the ribbon according to the recipients war service. These bars are covered with laurel leaves and bear either a service year between 1915 and 1918 or the word Albania, followed by a service year between 1916 and 1920.
The medal's obverse bears the helmeted head of King Victor Emanuel III and around the rim is the text "GVERRA PER L'VNITA D'ITALIA 1915 1918" (War for the Unity of Italy).
The reverse depicts an upright Victory standing on shields born by 2 soldiers. Around the rim is the text "CONIATA 'NEL BRONZO NEMICO" (made from enemy bronze).

Steve

53 minutes ago, tullybrone said:

Courtesy of Wikipedia 

http://www.gwpda.org/medals/italmedl/italy.html

Thanks Steve. Would it be found in a Commonwealth soldier’s medal group or has this been tagged onto the group?

Hi,

Sorry I couldn’t give a definitive answer to that one but as it’s an officer group I’d hazard a guess it was maybe awarded to a proportion of officers who served in Italy rather than a self awarded medal.

if you have a name to go with the medal group you’ve posted I’m sure someone will be able to give you a definitive answer.

Steve

1 minute ago, tullybrone said:

if you have a name to go with the medal group you’ve posted I’m sure someone will be able to give you a definitive answer.

Sadly no name, all my miniature groups are unattributable.

Therein lies the "danger". Can't confirm a group without knowing recipient's name, etc.

4 hours ago, bif said:

Therein lies the "danger". Can't confirm a group without knowing recipient's name, etc.

Thought that would be the case. Just wondered if it was actually possible for a Commonwealth soldier to be awarded that medal or if it was one that only Italians could get.

After the Armistice the Allied nations dished out honours and awards to officers and soldiers of other countries. The Italians seem to have been quite keen on doing this. 

Permission from the Sovereign (obviously delegated) has to be given to wear foreign awards. Quite often it is denied (think of the Russian medals to British Arctic Convoy veterans until recently), though this is often conditional. A temporary exception is often allowed to British personnel to wear otherwise prohibited foreign awards at functions and events where representatives of the awarding nation may be present.

Miniatures seem to fall into another category: essentially they are merely ornaments, not a medal or decoration in and of themselves. Thus it is that one may see an individual in mess kit or evening dress wearing a selection of miniatures which they do not wear full size in normal uniform.

Whilst the prohibition may be enforced on serving individuals, it is usually overlooked for retired personnel. 

I have foreign gongs, which I would happily wear if ever I got into the habit. As it is, I never wear any medals, British or foreign. 

19 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

After the Armistice the Allied nations dished out honours and awards to officers and soldiers of other countries. The Italians seem to have been quite keen on doing this.

Thanks for that info.

My understanding is that Commonwealth soldiers were not permitted to accept foreign "service medals".

Foreign "awards" are different, as Stoppage Drill states. 

59 minutes ago, ForeignGong said:

My understanding is that Commonwealth soldiers were not permitted to accept foreign "service medals".

Foreign "awards" are different, as Stoppage Drill states. 

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I am a collector of unattributable miniatures of the British Empire, especially the Victorian era and the World wars. I have collected some mini foreign gongs, and studied some of the subjects.

By default foreign orders and decorations could be worn ie Legion d Honneur, CdeG French/Belgian, Order of the Crown, Al Valore Militare, St Stanislaus, St George medal. I know however some foreign commemorative service medals can be worn as well, eg Greek War medal, Soviet artic convoys 40th anniversary medal ect. Some however are not authorized officially for wear, such as Dunkirk medal, Normandy medal. But you still see them on medal racks worn at Veterans Day ect. 

I’m guessing this Italian medal is one of those. 

I’ve attached some pics of my WW1/2 Foreign gongs. 

72B14EDB-B276-4EE9-942A-CAABF77F98BC.jpeg

072B9746-7586-4929-ABC8-0600ECF44B41.png

BACDEA03-2683-4874-A3C7-F6D055044E39.png

114C9616-F843-4A7B-8BC3-A209AE26DEEC.png

7BE0CC92-85E4-41A6-93F2-B2B369335DEC.png