Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Getting the train from Arras to London

Drew-1918

Hello everyone,

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with a query about trains from France to the UK. I am driving to France with a relative in August, but I will need to get the train back from Arras to St. Pancras (or possibly Ebbsfleet). Please excuse my ignorance in these matters, but would it be best to pre-book the train ticket now, or can I just turn up on the day and buy one? One reason why I ask this question is because there seems to be some sort of ‘strike timetable’, another reason I ask is because I am not quite sure of my departure time and wanted flexibility if at all possible. I just wondered what people with more experience would do in this situation. 

Thank you very much for any advice or help you may be able to give. 

Regards,

Chris

I normally just turn up. It’s an interesting journey as it follows the old front line for a good stretch.

I assume you know you will need to change in Lille onto the Eurostar. If you are not concerned about cost, you can leave it to the last minute. But it will be much cheaper to book in advance, the downside being that you will not be able to change the booking without paying a fee.

Arras to Lille Gare Flanders- Local train so you can just turn up at the station. Takes about 30 mins

Walk from Gare Flanders to Lille Eurostar Terminal - 600 metres

Eurostar to St Pancras - Pre book to get a seat and may get a cheaper ticket (35 pounds)

This site explains how to do it and even get a flexible ticket. Seat 61

Thank you very much everyone, that’s all great advice and very much appreciated. You’ve all helped me a lot.

Many thanks,

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for their help and advice. In the end I decided on a time and booked in advance using information from the website MartH kindly posted. I think I saved about 150 Euros doing it this way rather than just Googling. I was also able to relax a bit more and enjoy my time based on the excellent advice given. 

Many thanks again.

Chris