Remembered Today:

Peter Bennett

Driver BONE, HERBERT

Service Number 83014

Died 29/05/1918

Aged 25

3rd Bty. 45th Bde.
Royal Field Artillery

Son of Mrs. E. A. Croft (formerly Bone), of 47, Brook St., Dewsbury, Yorks, and the late Herbert Bone; husband of the late Frances Bone.

Commemorated at SOISSONS MEMORIAL

This man’s Medal Award Roll and Soldiers Effects give his date of death as 29/03/1918.  But his entry on the SDGW & CWGC records give 29/05/1918.

I tried to purchase an Overseas Death Certificate from the GRO but despite searching the whole of 1918 they were unable to find an entry. I have tried the National Archives and the National Army Museum without success.

There is nothing in local newspaper archives.

Any help or guidance greatly appreciated

Looked through the war diary, no OR's names are mentioned.

As a matter of interest, he has 2 mentions in the medical records on FMP, both 1916 so can't help us here.

Chris

Edited by Dragoon

Come back to this, has the effects record got it wrong?

Similar to this thread

Maybe you could work it out Craig?

Chris

The soldiers effects shows the death as 29 March 18 with the credit being created by Woolwich Paymaster on July 19. The monies were paid out on 15 Sep 19 and 21 Oct 19.

The paid war gratuity was £18 10s gross. If we assume 29 March 1918 is correct:
image.png.f719be3f1de89e7f26abbe6cc6ce6d61.png

http://www.wargratuity.uk

SDGW shows no mention of an earlier service number so, assuming that # 83014 was his first number. Looking at other service numbers #83010 was allocated on 19 January 1915 so that would tie in.

As a check, if we assumed the date was 29 May 1918 the war gratuity would indicate enlistment from 30 February 1915, which would be after the service number was issued.

As far as I can tell. The issue regarding the dates seems to stretch back to the AG at the Base Depot - when they received and compiled the reports from the front they sent copies on to various units in England - primarily 1 copy to the records office and 1 to the paymaster. The records office side ended up forming those records that would be used for the SDGW and CWGC whereas the paymaster side was passed to the effects branch. It would appear that the error crept in after this split - it is unusual to see the error on the paymaster side and it is almost always on records office side in my experience.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

On 10/07/2018 at 16:05, Peter Bennett said:

Driver BONE, HERBERT

Service Number 83014

Died 29/05/1918

Aged 25

3rd Bty. 45th Bde.
Royal Field Artillery

Son of Mrs. E. A. Croft (formerly Bone), of 47, Brook St., Dewsbury, Yorks, and the late Herbert Bone; husband of the late Frances Bone.

Commemorated at SOISSONS MEMORIAL

This man’s Medal Award Roll and Soldiers Effects give his date of death as 29/03/1918.  But his entry on the SDGW & CWGC records give 29/05/1918.

I tried to purchase an Overseas Death Certificate from the GRO but despite searching the whole of 1918 they were unable to find an entry. I have tried the National Archives and the National Army Museum without success.

There is nothing in local newspaper archives.

Any help or guidance greatly appreciated

Has this chap got a headstone? If so the date of death on it will be incorrect.

And good work again Craig.

Chris

I've noticed that he is on the Soissons memorial that has no dates of death.

How have the CWGC got it wrong date wise? Is it worth contacting them do you think?

Chris