Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SCHOOL MEMORIALS TO THE FALLEN

37th

Researching my Gt uncle Arthur William Chaple 13th KRRC i learn he attended one of our local schools (yes our family haved lived in the same area since 1850) four generations all born in the same house which still stands today, oh how i wish to own this now. Well in the school hall there is a memorial to the fallen which has been there for ages. Sadly a bronze monument outside the school gates had disappeared during WW2. We're told this was to help the war effort......how sad. I'm told that all the children of the school know all the names on the memorial.....i'm pleased about that at least. Does anyone else know of similar stories.

I'm told that all the children of the school know all the names on the memorial.....

Do they or is the history of the names known. That is the reason why I am researching the Larne War memorial. As a child I passed it as least twice a day if not more and I always wondered about those names. Now I am finding out.

Got a photograph?

greetings

Liam

There is also a big memorial in my old school, the names are read out at assembly on the day the person died and all are read out on memorial day or the day closest to it.

Andy

I do have a picture but cant seem to upload it for some reason, will have another go in a moment. The memorial is made from a hard wood possibly mahogany...beautiful it is. It is my understanding that the names of those on the memorial are read out to class on notable dates. I have looked into the records of these men and find i think could be 3 brothers and also another 2 brothers all from our street. My Gt uncle who was killed in action also had 3 brothers who died during his short life.....20yrs :(

Lets have another go at uploading this picture. :(

I work as a contractor to the Education Dept of the state of Victoria in Australia. I visit many schools throughout the state and most of them have an Honour Roll, these include people who served as well as those who died. It is very sad to visit a small country primary school, of a town that was thriving 100 years ago but is now just hanging on, and see a proliferation of people with the same name.

Some of these Honour Rolls are well kept but others are shoved into a store, I always try to encourage the school to again put them on display.

I may start taking photos of the ones I see.

Bob

i am reserching the names on Roll of honour in the main Hall of King Edwards School East Retford, Nottinghamshire. The memorial contains 46 names the oldest past pupil being 40 yeras of age when he died, the youngets being 18. They served in all branches of the armed force with 1 serving with the Austarilian Imperial Force (killed Lone Pine) and 1 who served with the South African Infantry (killed Butte de Warlencourt). The school was a boarding school up until the 1930's so the pupils came from various parts of the country. One of the names is that of Willam EYre( died of wounds in Egypt follwoing the attack at Suvla bay) who was both a pupil and later on a teacher at the school. Within the school grounds there is a Fives Court built in his memory( the children have no idea what it is ). He was actually a teacher Chrits College in Horsham.

Sadly the school is due to close so it is hoped that the Roll of Honour will find a new place to rest.

Dorrie

The Vrije Basisschool Sint-Juliaan (St-Julien Elementary School) took in 1997 the initiative to erect the Kitchener's Wood Memorial.

Click here to read more.

The 'Third grade' gathers every year on April 22 to commemorate the battle of Kitchener's Wood in their village after the first chemical attack in history.

The same school planted in 1990 the 'Oaks of Peace' in remembrance of the same battle.

With a bit of luck my picture of the school memorial i've been telling you all about will upload.......now say the magic words....hokos pokos fish fingers & cocoa....

post-19-1105477640.jpg

I seem to remember that we had one at my Grammar school in the1960's. I'll get a shot when i'm in the area.

At my Grammar School - Sutton High, Plymouth, the honour boards were on display in the school hall and when the school closed they were transferred to a local church not far away, where they still reside.

There is also a big memorial in my old school, the names are read out at assembly on the day the person died and all are read out on memorial day or the day closest to it.

Andy

Now THAT is something else. Andy, obviously , the school did this when you were a pupil. Do they still do it now, do you know?

Tom