Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

trench map/Air photo Ypres salient 1916

robins2

looking to pin point area of death of Canadian soldier ,435027 Pte John A. Buckham, 49th Btn, DOW 2 May 1916

any assistance is greatly appreciated

Regards

Bob R.

Edited by robins2

He DOW GSW to head and both arms in 10CCS which was at Remy Sidings at the time.

Edited by EDWARD1

Cumberland Dugouts and Warrington Avenue are to be found on map 28 NW4 and NE3 in square I 24

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.8453&lon=2.9401&layers=101464645&right=BingHyb

The trench lines on the linked map/image are from 1917, someone may be able to find one for 1916?

Max

Edit - need perhaps to look at the diary rather than an extract as his death in the CCS on 2 May may mean an earlier wounding.

Edited by MaxD
Second thoughts re date of death.

More - the war diary confirms that the battalion were in I 24 and J19 (next square to the east) from 29 April and sustained casualties on each subsequent day until relieved on 7th May so the location would be correct I'd suggest.

Max

If I have the correct Remy Sidings, they were in square I 22 on sheet 27 a long way West of map 28 square I 24.

Big if mind! Map dated 1918, no railways showing on my 1916 maps of that area.

Howard

Remy sidings.jpg

Edited by Howard
Date note

My post was to the location of his possible wounding rather than where he died and the distance between the two would support the suggestion that he was wounded some time before the date of death.  You have the correct location for Remy Sidings.

Max

1 hour ago, MaxD said:

My post was to the location of his possible wounding rather than where he died and the distance between the two would support the suggestion that he was wounded some time before the date of death.  You have the correct location for Remy Sidings.

Max

My mistake was to put I 22 when it is L 22 and L 23 on sheet 27.

Here is a map showing a large hospital dated April 1918 at what on railway maps is shown as Remy Sidings.. Northing at all from 1916 in the database, the RE were busy mapping further East.

Howard

Remy sidings2.jpg

Edited by Howard

By 1918 Remy Sidings was the location of at least three (depends when you count them) CCCs.  The history talks about the railway facilities being rapidly expanded from mid 1915.

All incidental , we have I believe pinpointed the two most significant locations, wait to hear whether there is a 1916 aerial photo or such.

Max

thank you Edward 1/Howard/MaxD info greatly appreciated

regards

Bob R.

I have a book “ The Great War seen from the air in Flanders Field 1914- 1918”. It’s a study of the Ypres Salient through the Great War using aerial photographs both vertical and oblique.  There are no photos of remy sidings but some of similar facilities and there are several shots of the zillibeke/ hooge area through the war.  The book provides a great insight into the way the landscape changed during the war and how tactics varied.  It’s a beautiful book with 500 odd images produced at a large scale on good quality paper with several tracing paper overlays to help you identify features but it’s not cheap.  

One thing this book book highlights is that the hundreds of thousands of aerial photographs that remain from the war are perhaps one of the last untapped resources of information about what happened during those 4 years.  The photographs you’d like to see are probably somewhere!

gmac    thank you for your reply, your book sounds like a very valuable resource to have

regards

Bob R.

10 hours ago, gmac101 said:

The photographs you’d like to see are probably somewhere!

IWM Duxford, roughly 130,000 of them.

Howard