Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW v CWGC.........seconds out !

37th

How accurate are these databases?

Talking to my brother earlier today who also shares an interest in the Great War, he informs me of two different records to the same man. For those who have both CD's...DVD's or whatever of these databases would you be kind enough to let me know if this is true. The name in question is FREDERICK JOHN HARVEY, born. Waltham Cross Herts, enlisted. Hounslow Middx, residence. Waltham Cross Herts, R/46754, RIFLEMAN, KIA, 13/9/18 13th KRRC. My own suspicions are that he enlisted along with my uncle at the same time but this now throws a spanner in the works since what record is accurate. ;)

Hi 37th,

Have looked at both SDGW and CWGC entries for this soldier. The CWGC does not give birthplace, residence or enlisted, the SDGW gives the details as you have given.

The difference i did find was that SDGW gives his battalion as 13th KRRC, whereas the CWGC gives it as 10th battalion KRRC.

Andy

This is not the first time i've come across this problem. Any record is as good as the person compiling it......distracted or not. My own surname being spelt rather differently from the norm is one example. PRO show a R. Chaple Royal Sussex Regiment this name turns out to be spelt wrong can you believe it 85yrs until little me comes along and tells them of this.......having wasted time looking into this i can't be bothered to see if its been amended. I'm sorry to go on a bit about this its just that its frustrating enough without these problems. Our passion wins us over at the end of the day and its us people who keep there memories alive.

Both databases can be wrong but if you search this Forum you will probably find that the concensus is that CWGC is usually more accurate.

In your case the only discrepancy between the two records is the battalion number - 13th on SDGW and 10th on CWGC.

If you download his MIC it MAY (or may not) confirm the battalion.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=1

A simple check of the movements of the 10th and 13th KRRC on the mothersite shows that the 10th Bn was disbanded in February 1918.

Andy