Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MEF (or Indian) Signals Company?

Pat Atkins

I'm researching a South Lancashire pre-War Regular, 8232 Sgt George Tomlin, and I can't for the life of me work out his service record - any help would be great.

Specifically, I don't know who he served with in the BEF from 13th August 1914, and in Mesopotamia. He was 2nd Bn SLR when he enlisted 1906, but it appears he served in India from 1907-1914; I assumed with 1st SLR, but not necessarily of course. His record states he trained as a Military Telegraphist at some point in his career, and he clearly served with Signals - but which unit? He was discharged to Class Z reserve in 1919 in UK from India (31st Signals Company, which was Indian Army I believe) from 1st SLR.

Here's a fragment of his record - who were IAC Signals Company (and 1st A.C. Signals Company if not one and the same?)

Cheers, Pat

image.png.f2446f557555ad0c93e0319c1a4630dd.png

Hej Pat

1st A.C. Sig.Coy. could be referring to the Signal Company of 1st Indian Corps.

In the war diary the company is often referred to as 1st Corps Signal Company.

At one time (May-Nov. 1916) it was also known as 1/3rd Corps Signal Company.

The war diaries are available at NA (WO 95/5060/5 and /6) for a reasonable sum.

Very few other ranks are mentioned, but the diaries give a good indication of the sort of work the company did.

Steen

Aha - thanks, Steen, that's just what I was looking for! Will check the WDs out. 1 Indian Corps were BEF and then Mesopotamia, which fits well. I'm guessing Tomlin was attached from the 1st Bn South Lancashires. 

Cheers, Pat

Edited by Pat Atkins