Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lincs Regt- pagri flash or 'battle flash'?

badjez

I've owned these items since 2009 and had filed them away then as being pagri flashes, as worn on the bush hat. I recently saw a similar badge described as a WW1 'battle patch', and Bosleys have a similar item in their current sale catalogue.

The description of the red 'X' can fit both the description of the WW2 bush hat badges, and the 'battle flash' worn by 2 Lincs in WW1. I know the design, and colours could also apply to the pagri flash of 10 Baluch Regt but I have discounted that option as their flashes were woven, not embroidered.

Please may I have the opinions of the panel?

Lincs Regt pagri flashes (10).jpg

Lincs Regt pagri flashes (11).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

These patches could have been worn by 1 Bn with 21 Division or 2 Bn with 8 Division.

Regards,

Kendo

Kendo,

Thanks for replying. I take it you consider these are more likely to be Gt War flashes than ww2 bush hat items.

Might the brighter red version be of the latter period, as it doesn't seem to have faded to the same extent.

Regards, Stephen.

Perhaps they could have been pagri flashes worn on tropical helmets (sun helmets)

The 1st Battalion was in China, Hong Kong and India in the 1930s, and the 2nd Battalion was in India, Sudan and Palestine in the 1920s-1930s.

General information from militarysunhelmets.com

"British Puggarees 2, 3, 4 and 6 Folds" by Stuart Bates. May 22, 2012. "Helmet Flashes in the British Army" by Benny Bough July 30, 2012. Includes details of two series of reference articles by John Mollo, and by Ron Kidd in The Formation Sign, Journal of The Military Heraldry Society. Alternative terminology is tactical recognition flash, pagri (puggaree) badge, Foreign Service Helmet (F S H) badge, or formation badge. 

Cheers

Maureen

There is a thread about the Lincoln’s cloth badge on the British and Commonwealth Badge Forum here: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30902