Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Car Break-ins - Thiepval Memorial

Ken Lees

On Thursday afternoon this week there were two cars broken into on the car park at the Thiepval Memorial. Both had handbags left on show and the offenders simply smashed the windows to gain entry.

Anyone visiting the area should always put all bags in the boot, out of sight. I have heard people say, "there's nothing of value in the bag, so it's OK". A thief will assume there is, so will steal it anyway.

I am sure that these people are driving around the area looking for easy targets, so parking by an isolated cemetery where you are not within a short sprint of your vehicle may not be wise.

That's depressing. I think there have been odd spates of this in the past, and I'm always a bit wary. The CP at Thiepval must be incredibly busy, not least right now.

Always remember to put everything out of sight - and do it before you park up at your destination. Don't open the boot and put stuff away once you arrive.

This is no 3 in car security 101, right behind close the windows and lock the doors. Clearly that doesn't give the light fingered types the right to take advantage but I do struggle to sympathise with the victims. 

5 hours ago, Ken Lees said:

.....so parking by an isolated cemetery where you are not within a short sprint of your vehicle may not be wise.

Sprint?!

Flippin' heck...

Got to go with Gareth on this one, it is a sad state of the world when you cannot leave items on show so as not to encourage thieving gits but sometimes you have to.......out of sight.....out of mind

28 minutes ago, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

it is a sad state of the world when you cannot leave items on show so as not to encourage thieving gits

Nothing new, I'm afraid. 'Twas ever thus.

Some places I've visited they recommended taking everything out of your car  leaving the glove box open and removing  the parcel shelf so the thieves could see that there was nothing in the car otherwise they would break in just to check 

Hello all.

I noticed on a visit in June that various sites have now, security company people on site. And I have to say, what is the world coming too.

If you mean Newfoundland Park and Vimy, they have been there for years.

13 hours ago, 17107BM said:

what is the world coming too.

Theft is not a recent invention. It has been going on for rather a long time.

• Admin

Shame this hasn't been marketed as it would be effective, but the insurance paperwork might be a nightmare 

even as a teenager (many years ago) there were adverts to tell drivers not to leave bags on show inside a car! As to having nothing of value in the bags, what about the cost of repairing the car window/door lock etc and the shear inconvenience and waste of time in trying to get it repaired in a foreign country! Good tips above, especially from squirrel.

Thieves are opportunists, and the first line of opportunity is what they can see 'on display'.  They may suspect that the Mercedes has valuables in its boot, but unless they have lots of time and little risk of detection, they will go for the more modest motor next door with a handbag and camera case in plain view.  And if the handbag has nothing in it,  and the camera case is empty, they might just smash some more windows for spite.

And don't park your car around the back in an unused spot. Park it in full view of everyone who might be passing or parking. Thieves don't like people to see what they are doing.

11 hours ago, loganshort said:

even as a teenager (many years ago) there were adverts to tell drivers not to leave bags on show inside a car! As to having nothing of value in the bags, what about the cost of repairing the car window/door lock etc and the shear inconvenience and waste of time in trying to get it repaired in a foreign country! Good tips above, especially from squirrel.

I think I made the same point in the original post. 

13 hours ago, healdav said:

And don't park your car around the back in an unused spot. Park it in full view of everyone who might be passing or parking. Thieves don't like people to see what they are doing.

Fair enough, but the car park at the Thiepval Memorial and Visitor Centre is probably about the un-round-the backest, fullest-viewed-of-everyone and passing-parkiest spot on the entire Western Front, if you'll excuse my appalling scrambled English.

Suprised Thiepval have not put cameras on the car park.

10 hours ago, horrocks said:

Fair enough, but the car park at the Thiepval Memorial and Visitor Centre is probably about the un-round-the backest, fullest-viewed-of-everyone and passing-parkiest spot on the entire Western Front, if you'll excuse my appalling scrambled English.

Nver been there, sorry.

1 hour ago, KIRKY said:

Suprised Thiepval have not put cameras on the car park.

It is planned, but it involves not just the Historiale, but also the village and the Conseil General, as land ownership and responsibilities are inevitably complicated - this is France after all! 

14 hours ago, horrocks said:

Fair enough, but the car park at the Thiepval Memorial and Visitor Centre is probably about the un-round-the backest, fullest-viewed-of-everyone and passing-parkiest spot on the entire Western Front....

4 hours ago, healdav said:

Nver been there, sorry.

......except by you :-)

Edited by horrocks

18 hours ago, horrocks said:

Perfectly good understandable English, although to be understood by todays young people, you should have started the sentence with 'so' and ended it with 'like'.

Edited by caulkheader
typo

The new security cameras at Thiepval should be in place by the end of this year, apparently.

There have been no further incidents since the one reported above.

• 1 month later...

Another break-in today at Thiepval. Apparently, the method of entry was to drill out a lock  barrel, so not quite so opportunist this time.