The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How good was the Renault FT?

Nasco12

What I know about the FT:

1. It had a turret
  2. It had a tiny crew
  3. It was made in large numbers

But what I don't know is if it was any good. For example, British tanks have the successes of Cambrai and Amiens. But does the FT have anything similar to write home about? Or was it used in a different way?

According to Wikipedia it had at least one success but that was fairly early on in its career. Were there others?

Edited by Nasco12
Format

The FT was a cracking little tank.  

How are you measuring success?  I would argue that Cambrai was a success on day 1 for many reasons - reasons that enabled the tanks to do their stuff - but it wasn't a tank success, it was a combined arms success (plus the odd failure).  And the same is true of Amiens (although thins were in part helped by the introduction of the Mk V tank).  

FTs were in action at least 16 times from 31 May 18 until the end of October 1918.  31 May was a success for the FTs as was 3 Jun 18.  The largest number fielded were during the battles of late Aug and Sep 18 (330 on 26 Sep in Champagne and 355 in the Argonne Forest the same day).  

I'd think that any armored vehicle bearing down on one's position would be disconcerting at least. Especially if one did not have anything to stop it. I know some had 37mm cannons & others had Hotchkiss mgs & could do a lot of damage. Also ran over wire & gave cover to men advancing behind it & allowed them to reach the enemy positions & close with them. All in all I think it was a good tank.

• 1 month later...

Did any Renaults  support General Toulorge's attack against Mezieres/Fresnoy on 8/9 August 1918 or were they restricted to the Montdidier sector?.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

The FT-17's biggest flaw was the front idler wheels, which were manufactured from timber. Damage those by blast, MG fire, etc, and there is potential for them to collapse.  The US-built model M1917 had steel front idler wheels, which seems a lot more sensible.

Mike 

Hi

Not all FT17s were manufactured by Renault and they other manufacturers do have differences      both internally and externally 

regards

Having recently seen one in the flesh, on display at Verdun, I am not sure that you would have found me anywhere near it as a potential crew member. Ir seems to be about the size of a slightly souped up Fiat 500. The AEF used them and they had enormous tank and crew casualties during the M-A Offensive, or at least the earlier stages of same.