Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Q.A.Royal Naval nurse in WW1 Army Hospital?

heatherannej

Hello all ... could a Queen Alexandra’s Royal Naval Nursing Service Sister end up nursing in an Army Military Hospital during the First World War please?   Many thanks, Heather

If this is a specific nurse then I know the people who will be able to tell you whether she did. 

Ditto if this is a particular hospital then I may have some material on it. 

12 hours ago, seaJane said:

If this is a specific nurse then I know the people who will be able to tell you whether she did. 

Ditto if this is a particular hospital then I may have some material on it. 

I have one "M. Harlock" at Colchester Military Hospital in March 1915 - she signed a fellow nurse's autograph book..  It is a total stab in the dark but I wondered if she was one Sister Maud Mary Harlock (born 1874 Feltwell, Norfolk) but she is a Queen Alexandra’s Royal Naval Nursing Service Sister but I don't know whether the cross-over between Navy and Army was feasible - so she could be eliminated.  In the 1911 Census, Maud Mary Harlock is a Nursing Sister at the Royal [Naval] Hospital, Portland, Weymouth, Dorset.  If you can identify her, it would be great ... thanks, in advance.  Heather

Maud Harlock was at Portland from 28th September 1912 until 20th August 1915, so I think you can rule her out. She was previously at Portland from 10th February 1911 until 6th November 1911, then went to Plymouth before returning to Portland. Information taken from her service record.

Regards,

Alf McM

1 hour ago, alf mcm said:

Maud Harlock was at Portland from 28th September 1912 until 20th August 1915

Thanks Alf McM ... I can eliminate Maud Mary, right enough.   Thank very much indeed for the Mary Louisa Harlock tip ... she sounds promising.  Heather

Thanks for sorting that one out Alf!

Thanks to you both, Alf mcm and seaJane, for picking the post up. Heather

Heatheranne,

The National Archives has a Q.A.I.M.N.S. service record for a Mary Harlock {not sure if it is Mary Louisa Harlock};- http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10796274

If you look at image 23 on the viewre you will see that it says 'Transferred from the Military Hospital Colchester to Military Hospital Hampstead 11th March 1915. She probably signed the diary because she was leaving.

EDIT;-  She is Mary Louisa Harlock. This entry in the BJN from 1921 shows her joining the Q.A.M.N.S.I.;- http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/cgi-bin/webglimpse.cgi?ID=1&cache=yes&nonascii=on&maxlines=5&maxchars=750&wordspan=&autosyntax=ALL&query=harlock&rankby=DEFAULT&query_all=harlock&query_exact=

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm
Additional information

On 01/07/2018 at 19:13, alf mcm said:

She is Mary Louisa Harlock

Thanks so much for that confirmation, Alf.   That's excellent ... I can delete the ? I had against her now and check out your links.   Thanks again, I am very grateful to you.  All the best Heather