Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Platoon, British Army Regiment (in India)

MaureenE

Photograph labelled Indian Platoon, from what appears to be a printed album titled 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers Ferozepore (India).

The 2nd Battalion was in India 1919- c 1934.

http://www.lancs-fusiliers.co.uk/gallerynew/2lf1931-1934India, Punjab, Amritsar/album/25.jpg

I have not previously come across an “Indian Platoon” in a British Army Regiment. What were the duties of an “Indian Platoon” and were the Indian soldiers officially part of the British Army?

Cheers

Maureen

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 10.56.26 pm.png

Maureene - is it an 'Indian Platoon' in a British regiment, or just an Indian Platoon who served alongside the Fusiliers (does that make sense? I mean that rather than embedded as part of the LF, this was a platoon from an Indian regiment which served alongside them in cantonments, or on a scheme or something)?

I have done some more Googling  which seems to have answered my questions. They appear to be Indian Army attached to British regiments.

From a dnw medal catalogue

INDIAN ARMY MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL, G.VI.R., 1st issue (8345 Qmr. Hav. Basant Singh, Support Coy. 2-Welch R.), together with a Welsh Regiment cap badge, toned, good very fine (2) £100-120

Basant Singh was a member of 2/Welsh Regiment’s ‘Indian Platoon’, one of which was attached to each British infantry regiment serving in India up until November 1932. Each such platoon comprised one Indian officer and 42 other ranks, their primary duty being to lead and care for the mule packs upon which guns and ammunition of the Machine-Gun Company were carried.

https://www.dnw.co.uk/media/auction_catalogues/Medals 27 Sep 16.pdf

Cheers

Maureen

I'll second that.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m intrigued. Wonder if the TF units had them. Never come across this before. 

Thanks Maureen

Regards

Dave

• 2 years later...

Probably a bit off topic but ‘Indianisation’ grew at pace in the 30’s. Indian soldiers attached to British Regiments and Indian officers taking over roles previously allotted to British officers. 6th Royal Battalion, 13th Frontier Force Rifles was an early example.

58 DM.