Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private John Bayne 3/6349 2nd Bn. Royal Highlanders

wandererpaul

I have looked online but haven't found what I'm looking for.

I would like a picture, if possible, of Private John Bayne 3/6349 gravestone at St. Vaast Post Military Cemetery. Grave No. I. J. 2. 

Many thanks.

Thank you, I will send them an email. :)

• Admin

Can't promise but I will try to get there either tomorrow evening or Thursday morning 

Michelle 

Thank you.

A bit of a back story to this brave man.

He’s a recently discovered - by me :) - former footballer of Brentford FC. Only played four times, twice in 1899 and twice in 1903, but will now be added to the Roll of Honour of the Football Club. He also served in the Boer War, under the same number, in the 2nd Bn and then 1st Bn Royal Higlanders. Receiving the QSA with six clasps and the KSA with the two clasps.

Born 1877 in Dunblane. The illegitimate son of Margaret Bayne, a farm servant. Census of 1881 and 1891 shows him living in Ramoyle Dunblane with grandparents and mother (1881), then just grandmother (1891).

Attested in February 1896, Private 6349.

Played army football for the Black Watch on his way down south with the regiment. First at York and then in Aldershot. Played at least one game for Reading FC in the southern league. Turned out for Brentford twice, as mentioned above. His appearance, along with another serving soldier G. Burton (not found him yet), and two other players from Plumstead, caused the FA to charge Brentford with paying players when the Club was still classed as amateur. The furore this caused, other clubs were also charged at this time, meant Brentford FC would have to turn professional and the four players suspended. The two soldiers, Bayne and Burton, were suspended from playing apart from as a player in the Army games. The suspension was to be rescinded once they had returned to the UK after serving in “The Cape”.

Bayne was discharged in 1903, having served 7 years, and was placed on army reserve list for next five. Finally discharged in February 1908.

He played for Brentford again,1903, as well as St Johnstone and lastly Dunblane FC.

He married May Manuel in 1907.

Returned to his old job as a mill worker.

No record on 1911 Scotland Census....cannot find any of the family.

He is listed in the Perth electoral rolls living in Ramoyle, Dunblane.

No record survives for his WW1 service. I don’t know when he was called up or when he volunteered to rejoin. His job was now as a wood cutter.

There are several mentions in the Scottish papers, which helps and adds to the story. He was the batman for a Lieutenant Cochrane.

I still have the WD to go through. I know he is named as being killed in the WD.

He was killed on 21 July 1915 (aged 38). A rifle grenade was fired from the German lines and “took off his head” as he was eating, along with his machine gun detachment, and after serving Lt. Cochrane his evening meal.

He is buried in St Vaast.

They had four children by 1915. John (1908) and Agnes Manuel (1913) but the two other children - possibly between those dates - are yet to be found. Scotland’s People has suggested several and will look into these, but they do charge which can be costly.

I don’t have a picture, sadly....nothing in the papers either. As I said, several reports and obits though.

The Soldier Effects says Mary as his widow but his marriage record suggests May Manuel was her name. (She is also mentioned on the CWGC records)

Agnes Manuel Bayne (Exton and Johnston) the youngest child, born 1913, died in 2008! A good age.......

May Bayne died in 1965.

if anyone has anymore info, it’ll be greatly received.

thanks.

Edited by wandererpaul

• Admin

A quick phone snap have more on my DSLR

E5D366CE-A381-4DBB-B863-FEB8562C2D0C.jpeg

Brilliant. Thank you very much.

the email to the graves people didn’t work. No picture, yet......

but this is excellent.

thanks again.

Hi Paul,

2 hours ago, wandererpaul said:

the email to the graves people didn’t work. No picture, yet...…

I'd be very surprised if they, or should I say he, didn't get back to you. The site is run by one man, in his spare time, on  voluntary basis. He's always got back to me after a few days. This short article may be of background interest.

Regards

Chris

1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi Paul,

I'd be very surprised if they, or should I say he, didn't get back to you. The site is run by one man, in his spare time, on  voluntary basis. He's always got back to me after a few days. This short article may be of background interest.

Regards

Chris

He did! Not long after I posted too! :)

• 3 months later...

John Bayne was my husband's grandfather.  We did not know that he had played for Brentford. I am confused as to how he could play football when he was with the Black Watch. Were they based near Brentford and do you have any paperwork to confirm this information? Thank you.

1 hour ago, The Seeker said:

John Bayne was my husband's grandfather.  We did not know that he had played for Brentford. I am confused as to how he could play football when he was with the Black Watch. Were they based near Brentford and do you have any paperwork to confirm this information? Thank you.

Hi

Good to hear from a family member.

John Bayne moved with his 2nd battalion of the Black Watch to Aldershot. From reading the newspaper archives the battalion travelled down south, from Ballater (?), via York. The 2nd battalion BW played a York District XI when stationed there.

He then appeared for the 2nd Bn Black Watch in a friendly match v Reading. Later playing one game in the Southern League, if I remember correctly, for Reading FC.

He then played twice for Brentford, again in the Southern League, scoring a goal in each match.

There are newspaper reports online re his appearances.

He has a place in Brentford FC’s history, in a way. Brentford were reported to the FA for paying their players, including Bayne. Brentford were suspended, plus a number of club officials and several players were also banned from playing. This forced the Football Club to turn professional in December 1899.

Two of the players were Bayne and Burton. Both of the Black Watch. Neither went to the FA, however, as they were enroute - with their battalion - to South Africa and the Boer War. Their suspensions were held back until their return.

John Bayne, on his return and after demobilisation, played in Scotland for St Johnstone, Raith and Hearts. He then returned to play two more matches with Brentford in the Southern League. 

Again, newspaper reports confirm this.

He wasn’t given a contract and returned to Scotland and played for Dunblane.

Then he was recalled (?) into the 3rd Bn. BW at Nigg and went out in a draft of men to be the batman for Lt. Cochrane.

There are several obituaries in the newspapers re his death in WW1.

Do you have a picture at all of John Bayne? This is one thing I don’t have.

if you want more info on what I have, then please contact me via pm and we can exchange email addresses. Would love to check things over.

I’m writing a piece on John Bayne, plus another new discovery, in the Brentford FC programme when we play Millwall on 3 November 2018. As this is the only home match near to the Armistice and Remembrance Sunday.

As I said, a picture would be great, especially if I can use it in the programme?!

Edited by wandererpaul