Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unused to researching RND personnel, I'm having difficulty in compiling information about this man. He was born in 1899 in Martin, Hampshire, the son of Charles and Mary Shering. He enlisted 08 Dec 14 (1632/S or 1633) and was at Crystal Palace (training?) until Feb 15. Then he went to Gallipoli with the RND, attached to '2nd Field Ambulance' (RND?). He left the theatre and was then on the WF until 07 Nov 17. About this time he was wounded by a shell splinter (Second Battle of Passchendaele?). He returned to the UK and from 13 Feb 18 was at 'Farnham' (hospital? depot?). Demob was 04 Mar 19.

I've found his medal roll (Star + 3) but no other documentation.  PF is at NA but funds do not permit: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7800870.

As always, all additional input gratefully received.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown
Mistake

His correct register number is Deal/1633(S). The medal roll is in error to state Deal/1632(S).

His Attestation Pack of papers and his RND Record Card for service in the RND Divisional Train are held in the archive of the Fleet Air Arm Museum (National Museum of the Royal Navy).

Edited by horatio2

Horatio,

Many thanks indeed. I've emailed them and hope to be able to visit.

Best wishes,

Acknown

Edited by Acknown
Error

• 3 weeks later...

Having added to the tabs, I hope to attract a new (medical) audience to this thread.

I'm attempting to discover the identity of the '2nd Field Ambulance' described above. David Shering served in this as a Royal Marine from the RND divisional train, but the only version I can find is the Australian 2 FA. Is that a feasible attachment, or was there a British/RN '2nd FA' there? And did this unit transfer to the WF with the RND in 1916?

Thanks.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown
Error

The Royal Naval Division (RND) had three field ambulances (Nos 1, 2 and 3) at Gallipoli manned by men of the Royal Marines Medical Unit (RMMU) with support (mainly transport) from the RND Divisional Train. On arrival in France in mid 1916 the FAs were re-numbered as 148, 149 and 150 but continued to be RMMU-manned, with some MOs from the RAMC. 

Horatio, brilliant, thank you. Do you know if there's a War Diary that contains them?

Acknown

Horatio,

Again, many thanks.

Acknown