Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Ernest Plester, Hooe, Sussex

KevinBattle

Our local Church is arranging to display information about the CWGC graves in the Churchyard.

There are 2 at St Oswald's, this is one:

PLESTER, WILLIAM ERNEST. Drummer. Service Number TF/2653. Died 16/07/1915. Aged 17.2nd/5th Bn. Royal Sussex Regiment

Son of Mrs A. Bland (formerly Plester), of 41, Devonshire Rd., Bexhill-on-Sea, and the late William Plester. Born at Hooe.

Buried at HOOE (ST. OSWALD) CHURCHYARD. Plot 1 Row D Grave 6.

Died of tubercular disease of the lung in Hastings hospital. William was under age to be sent to France and had previously enlisted in the RAMC, but later transferred. His brother, Frank was in the 5th Battalion also, which may have prompted the move.

The 2/5th Battalion was raised at Hastings in November 1914 from the 'home service' men of the 1/5th Battalion.

Soldiers Effects show payment to his mother, Julia and brother Frank. Mrs A Bland is therefore her husbands initial after she remarried.

Enlistment Location: Hastings. Rank: Private. 2/5th Battalion. Royal Sussex Regiment. Number: TF/2653. Type of Casualty: Died.

John and Ann Sheather at Broad Street Green were their grandparents. In 1901, the only Plester member in Hooe is Frank W J Plester so the family appear to have moved away by then. Brother Frank was probably wounded and, after recovering, transferred to the Royal Scots.

Name: Frank W J Plester. Rank: Private. Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal

Regiment or Corps: The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment). Regimental Number: 326163. Previously: 2nd. R. Sussex R. 4899.

Frank and his mother left for Canada in 1924, Julia dying there in 1926. Frank’s son, Alan, served in the Canadian Navy in WW2.

Is there any other information you bright sparks can add, please?

I presume you have it but if not this appears to be the lad himself

http://www.ww1rollofhonour.co.uk/index.php/2016/02/plester-william-ernest/

There are a fair number of discharge documents for Frank William John (14/10/96-15/11/69). He was wounded on 3/7/16 - Gun shot wound left elbow. He was gas poisoned 20/5/18 that seems to have affected his eyesight as well as his lungs. You can pretty much work out a WW1 history for him. But assume your focus is on William Ernest

Edited by Mark1959

Thanks for that, no I hadn't got that but a similar photo I have seen.

Note that references to HoVe are incorrect - his brother Frank persuaded Lord Brassey to found the 1st HoOe Scouts, and they ran messages from the start of the War.

Thanks also for the additional details on Frank, I'd assumed he had been wounded and then returned not to Royal Sussex but Royal SCOTS - I wonder what they made of a Sussex lad! And he may have had difficulty understanding them! While you're right about concentrating on William the Pococks still have links especially with Ninfield, so I'll pass the details on the the History Group and on to the Pococks, if that's OK? Interesting, his sister Ann married into the Kenward family in St Leonards, and who are still in the area

There is considerable documentation on FWJ. Giving dates home and overseas on fmp. I would point them in that direction