Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lest We Forget Archive (new platform)

TGM

Whilst reading about their Digital Collection Days I noted the following sentence:

After a Digital Collection Day, any stories or objects which are recorded are uploaded to the Lest We Forget archive which, from November of 2018, will be freely available on the Lest We Forget website, and on the Europeana 1914-1918 site.

Edited by TGM

Quite refreshing to find a site that has an open use policy for non-commercial purposes. How different from some of the other schemes that have popped up hither and thither which are hedged in by so many rights issues that they deserve/deserved to fail.

Quite refreshing to find a site that has an open use policy for non-commercial purposes. How different from some of the other schemes that have popped up hither and thither which are hedged in by so many rights issues that they deserve/deserved to fail.

Totally agree.

Oxf Univ Digital Collection day has been about a while but is a great initiative. What is very very useful is the Europeana 14-18 site. How 'secure' is this for the future as a free to all site? Europeana  is an EEC backed initiative much wider than 14-18. So perhaps it is secure for as long as EEC exists... (oops, don't go there).

Charlie

Oxf Univ site has been around since c 2008 and there are several old threads on the subject on GWF.

Edited by charlie962

29 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Oxf Univ Digital Collection day has been about a while but is a great initiative. What is very very [sic] useful is the Europeana 14-18 site. How 'secure' is this for the future as a free to all site? Europeana  is an EEC backed initiative much wider than 14-18. So perhaps it is secure for as long as EEC exists... (oops, don't go there).

Charlie

Oxf Univ site has been around since c 2008 and there are several old threads on the subject on GWF.

Yes! I've used it on and off for some years now.

Europeana is described as part of the 'Digital Single Market' ( ;)),  "the European Commission's digital platform for cultural heritage" and

"Co-funded by the European Union"

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

So perhaps it is secure for as long as EEC exists... 

The EEC ceased to exist in 2009 :thumbsup:

Dave 

I agree Europeana is a fantastic resource, but it seems almost impossible to find anything useful because very few of the entries seem to specify the author's regiment.  Clearly it's great to have this material preserved, and wonderful that you can just rummage round, but I would welcome guidance on how you actually find anything. 

John

4 minutes ago, johntaylor said:

I agree Europeana is a fantastic resource, but it seems almost impossible to find anything useful because very few of the entries seem to specify the author's regiment.  Clearly it's great to have this material preserved, and wonderful that you can just rummage round, but I would welcome guidance on how you actually find anything. 

John

I have found some gems in it but agree. Rummaging is a good name for what needs to be done to find anything.  Sometimes I think it just has too much stuff! A bit like Archive.org. A great resource but a bit opaque and unwieldy. 

Dave 

In a way I'm quite relieved - I wondered if it was just me.  Really needs a proper indexing job, but it would be a big one.  Still, at least the material is preserved and freely available which is the main thing.

John