Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 displays for a Bedfordshire centenary event?

steve fuller

Hi all, 

Sandy Town Council in Bedfordshire are staging a centenary event and would like to include a physical display / stand(s).

I believe they initially liked the idea of a vehicle, presumably for the impact, but I cant imagine there are many 100 year old vehicles available outside of national museums, so any displays may help to add flavour to their event?

Any ideas, suggestions, etc. please?

Many thanks

Steve

Do the folks at Old Warden  (the Shuttleworth Collection) have anything - they at least would be reasonably close?

It has been decades since I was there but I seem to recall vehicles of various types in amongst the aircraft.

Chris

1 minute ago, 4thGordons said:

Do the folks at Old Warden  (the Shuttleworth Collection) have anything - they at least would be reasonably close?

It has been decades since I was there but I seem to recall vehicles of various types in amongst the aircraft.

Chris

Nice thought Chris; I have dropped Regimental Museum trustees a line as I believe one of them has a personal connection to the site but I'll pass that idea on in the meantime :) 

How long is this display for?  I have a Memorial Plaque for E W Peer born in Sandy

Lance Corporal PEER, E W

Service Number 373027

Died 15/07/1917

Aged 29

8th Bn. 
London Regiment (Post Office Rifles)

Son of Joe and Emma Peer, of Sandy, Beds.; husband of Lydia Peer, of 57, Beaconsfield Rd, Leicester.

Edited by 303man

On 16/06/2018 at 22:57, 303man said:

How long is this display for?  I have a Memorial Plaque for E W Peer born in Sandy

Lance Corporal PEER, E W

Service Number 373027

Died 15/07/1917

Aged 29

8th Bn. 
London Regiment (Post Office Rifles)

Son of Joe and Emma Peer, of Sandy, Beds.; husband of Lydia Peer, of 57, Beaconsfield Rd, Leicester.

Honestly, no idea! I am not involved but was asked and said I'd ask around on here. Thanks, I'll pass the info on

"Raster Scanning" (John W.) and Piper (Richard S.) both have nice collections of photographic images. Piper's focuses on the Highland Division's time in Bedford and most are shown here I believe he worked with Bedford Library on their recent display. Raster has photos from all over Bedfordshire  relating to WWI -- they may be folks to contact -- although neither seem to have been frequent visitors to the forum in recent months

Chris

19 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

"Raster Scanning" (John W.) and Piper (Richard S.) both have nice collections of photographic images. Piper's focuses on the Highland Division's time in Bedford and most are shown here I believe he worked with Bedford Library on their recent display. Raster has photos from all over Bedfordshire  relating to WWI -- they may be folks to contact -- although neither seem to have been frequent visitors to the forum in recent months

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll pass the info on