Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest James Terry

kawasaki

I have managed to locate a photo of my grandfather, sat in the front of the photograph. He is Ernest James Terry and I think the uniform maybe a Gloucesters Territorial Regiment. Can any readers confirm this for me. The British Army WW1 Medal Rolls does not mention the Glosters, however 3 other regiments, RGA, The Queens R and Royal Engineers.

Any help would be appreciated.

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, kawasaki said:

I have managed to locate a photo of my grandfather, sat in the front of the photograph. He is Ernest James Terry and I think the uniform maybe a Gloucesters Territorial Regiment. Can any readers confirm this for me. The British Army WW1 Medal Rolls does not mention the Glosters, however 3 other regiments, RGA, The Queens R and Royal Engineers.

Any help would be appreciated.

image.jpeg

The Medal Index Cards/Rolls only show the units served overseas with as home units (with few exceptions) were not relevant for medal purposes.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Ernest Terry enlisted in the RNVReserve in Bristol on the 7th November 1910. His service number was 2/866.

i have the attached photograph of him sat at the front in a Territorial Glosters  Regiment uniform , possibly 4,5 or 6Th Battalion ( I think this is correct). The Glosters Museum inform me he enlisted close to 6th August 1914. I have been unable to see any record personally that confirms this.

i then have his British Army WW1 Medal Rolls which has the following information of his overseas service.

The Queens Regiment RW Surrey Rgt 10521

Royal Garrison Artillery 79543 Gunner

Royal Engineers 615898

Rank SPR.

do readers think this is the correct information for Ernest James Terry born 10th September 1893?

His original RNVR enrolment papers are in the archive of the Fleet Air Arm Museum, together with a Royal Naval Division (RND) record card. He originally enrolled in the Bristol No.2 Company as Bristol 2/100, his number being later changed to 866. His RND card, apart from personal details, shows no RND service, which tends to confirm your information about early WW1 enlistment in the army.