Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S/10534 Pte Thomas Gregor 1st Gordons

roughdiamond

Heading to Hull for the ferry for a battlefield tour with my Wife's pal and was showing her how to do family trees and found her Grandfathers marriage cert with the service details above.

He arrived in France July 1915 and was discharged class Z in January 1919 according to his mic, I don't subscribe to Ancestry but a quick search showed no Service record, could someone confirm it for me please and if possible those with other site memberships check if he has anything on them?

He was 1st Bn when he married in 1917 and has one service number so may only habve served with them.

One last thing, the  family name is Grigor but the Army have him as Gregor (initially Gregory on his MIC)

Amanda is over the moon to find out her Grandfather served from Loos to the Wars end, she didn't even know, puts a whole new completion on this trip.

Thanks for any help

Sam

His Medal Roll on Ancestry shows 5th Gordons as well as 1st - and "8/10 Gordons" which could mean 8th &/or 10th Battalions? Not helped by Ancestry denying me further access and telling this subscriber to subscribe - jeez!

Mike

FMP has some medical records -

25yr old Thomas was admitted to Catterick General Hospital on 24 Feb 1916 and discharged on 24 Feb 16 to "Wk House Inf N/C" - (Work House infantry Northern Command ?)

26yr old Thomas was admitted to 18th General Hospital on 13 April 17 and transferred on 16 April 17 to 6 Stationary Hospital.

Craig

Mike and Craig

Thank you so much for the infO. 

Mike

8/10th as Craig said was an amalgamation of the Bn's, when this was disbanded according to the LLT the men were transferred to the 5th Bn in the same Bde.

On his 2nd wound date noTed by Craig, he must have been evacuated to the UK as he married 2nd July 1917 and his Bn on his marriage cert is given as 1st, I'm taking from that on return to France he was posted to the 8/10th then to the 5th when they disbanded,so that gives a good idea of where he was and when.

Sam

Hi Sam,

FMP seem to have 4 medical hits for the man. They read:

First name(s): -

Last name: Gregor

Service number: 10534

Company: D

Corps: 11th Gor H

Years of Completed Service: 1 year and 2 months

Service in the command: 329 days

Hospital: Catterick Military Hospital

Ailment: ?image.png.4f2ddf4a4c56b20f81fd5e0671fc9cd4.png?

Admission date: 25 Nov 1915

Transferred to: 1 NG Ncle [1st Northern General Hospital, Newcastle?]

Discharge date: 25 Nov 1915

Archive: The National Archives - Piece MH 106/1804

First name(s):T

Corps: 11 Gor Hrs

Years of Completed Service: 1 year and 4 months

Hospital: Catterick Military Hospital

Ailment: Gonorrhrea [sic]

Admission date:  24 Feb 1916 

Transferred to: Wk House Inf N/C

Discharge date: 24 Feb 1916

Archive: The National Archives - Piece MH 106/1807

First name(s): T

Company: D Coy

Corps: 1/Gordons

Years of Completed Service: 2

Completed months with field force: 8

Hospital:18th General Hospital

Admission date: 13 Apr 1917

Archive: The National Archives - Piece MH 106/1200

First name(s):Thos

Company: D

Corps: 1 Gordons

Hospital: 18th General Hospital

Ailment: image.png.33ca809d3c271c5408bcef059a75ac12.png[Some kind of wound to the left (fore)arm? Wound class VIII = Gunshot wounds of the upper extremities].

Admission date: 13 Apr 1917

Transfer date: 16 Apr 1917

Transferred to: 6 Stat HP [This is referenced in the record with a ditto for place and date referencing "Arras 10.4.17]

Archive: The National Archives - Piece MH 106/1125

I think that FMP may have misinterpreted the record. The reference to 6 Stationary Hospital appears under the heading of

image.png.c4b6fe3a3a2b2e1a0f89b20a91f66404.png

For his record under "From Sick Convoy" it shows "No 112 A.T": and "HShip 16.4.17" under the heading of "To Other Hospitals".

I think that he may have been admitted 6 Stationary Hospital (Frevent*), then transferred by 112 Ambulance Train to 18 General Hospital (Camiers*), from where he was evacuated back to the UK by an unnamed hospital ship. 

*Reference the LLT here

Forces War Records have transcribed the same record. Their interpretation reads:

First Name: Thomas

Surname: Gregor

Information: Transferred from sick convoy No. 112 Ambulance Train.

Service Number: 10534

Years Service: 2 years

Months With Field Force: 8 months

Ailment: Gunshot wound VIII (1) left forearm, slight

Date of Admission for Original Ailment: 13/04/1917

Date Transferred to Other Hospitals: Hospital Ship 16/04/1917

Number of Days Under Treatment: 4

Notes written in the Observations Column: Arras 10/04/1917. No. 6 Stationary Hospital.

Regiment: Gordon Highlanders

Battalion: 1st Battalion 

Other unit info: D Company

Archive Reference: MH106/1125 - Representative Medical Records of No. 18 General Hospital, Camiers 

Regards

Chris

Chris

Fantastic stuff, thank you, Amanda is currently sitting her face white with shock though, finding out Grandpa had the clap wasn't the wound she expected 😅 I'm taking it the image you posted was what Gonorrhoea was called at the time.

Only confusion from it is he's shown as 11th Gordons while being treated, they must have transferred him to this reserve Bn for treatment? I note he's shown as "1 year 2 months service with 329 days service with the command", the balance being I assume his service in France from his July 1915 date of entry to theatre to his being "sent back" for treatment. This is handy as it gives a rough enlistment date of September 1914.

Bit of an eye opener to find that on being wounded in April 17 he'd only accumulated "8 months" service in the field after arriving there for the first time 21 months earlier, much of that down to his "self inflicted wound".

Again thanks so much, currently trying to persuade Amanda he wasn't the only young man who in the face of imminent death looked for some "comfort" and most importantly he wasn't married at the time.

Sam

Hi Sam,

2 hours ago, roughdiamond said:

I'm taking it the image you posted was what Gonorrhoea was called at the time.

I'm not sure. The chap above him in the register is recorded as having it, but Thomas?

image.png.ba2015c3ac0b22a6f2564763681e74a3.png

Image source: Findmypast - British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers' Medical Records

I hope that you're enjoying your trip.

Regards

Chris

Chris

Sorry for the tardy reply but been busy, trip has been fantastic and tonight looked out my medals, beret and Corps tie to lay a wreath at the Menin gate last post ceremony for 2 relatives named there and and my signatures.

Trying to work out exactly what Thomas Grigor had, I'm guessing Va?ix. Hopefully someone has the answer.

Sam

Medical Definition of Varix. Varix: An enlarged and convoluted vein, artery, or lymphatic vessel. Treatment of varices depends on where they are and whether they are causing problems. A varix in the esophagus can be caused by severe liver disease and can lead to bleeding.

Dr Mike