Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Henry Britton 5845 6bn Glos Regiment

Brizzle

Earlier this year i paid a respectful visit to Lillers Communial Cemetry on behalf of a work colleague, Pte Britton 5845 was his Great Uncle, to this date nobody from the family had visited, very humbled that i was in fact the first to pay my respects.

I am trying to build up a bigger picture of the events leading up to his death and to offer as much information as i can back to the family.

Private Henry Britton 5845 - 6bn Glos regiment - died 30.05.18 -  (6th bn transto (451459) 946th - area employ Coy - Labour corp)

My knowledge & skills in searching are pretty basic and i have only gathered the minimum information.

Would this soldier have been eligible for any medals? 

Lillers and the surrounding area was well behind the British front line, would this had been a casualty of the spring offensive?

The cemetery he is buried in was used by several casualty clearing stations and i can only assume he would have been injured, then moved back to one of these stations?

really appreciate any slight pieces of information offered.

IMG_20180427_1453099.jpg

IMG_20180427_1453590.jpg

Transcription from 'Soldiers died in the Great War'

Some additional notes...

His birthplace is given as Kingswood, Bristol and that he enlisted in Bristol.

It also notes that he was killed in action.

Supplementary notes - Formerly 5845. Glos. Regt

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D1492821

Another transcription - MIC (Medal Index Card will be available on Ancestry - free access at a library).

A different service numbers appears...203277 in addition to the 451459 - someone will be able to clarify perhaps why his headstone only shows 5845.

Edited by BarbaraG

Hi

The medal award rolls for 451459 Labour Co. show he was previously Pte.203277 Gloucestershire Regt. BWM and Victory Medals......still looking.

His MIC shows under 203277/451459. There is no mention of formerly 5845!

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

He was paid a war gratuity of £8 net, £10 gross. This indicates qualifying service of 22 months which began in the month from 31 July 1915.

Craig

Hi

His full name from Soldiers' Effects was Henry Albert Britton...451459.......looking   Ancestry has it as 45  7   459.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi Brizzle and all

Having difficulty locating his family, can you give us some more details?

Regards Barry 

The one that keeps coming up is Henry Albert Britton, Coal Haulier, born 1878 Kingswood, Gloucestershire, 1911 census Halls Rd., Kingswood, Bristol. Married 13 yrs Wife Laura, b.1872 Kingswood. 6 children, all alive. Can't find the marriage to Laura....2nd.wife?

Edited by The Inspector

Hi All - The family and the great nephew i work with is from Kingswood Bristol - sorry for omitting this important information.

I am overwhelmed with all this extra information, massive thanks   

Interesting, not a common name.

i was in the air cadets with a Jeremy Britton, his son is my youngest son's mate, Alex. Alex comes to France and war graves with us. Their family live/d in Chippenham wilts, after 3 generations previously living in Wales.... Britton ferry local?

last week I was checking up on my aunts and uncles, one of my aunt's was a Beryl Britton. But had always lived in Chippenham.

ive yet to tie them all in.

who knows, maybe another branch of the family