Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ringwood Memorial - 5 Missing Men

Alan24

A local man, John Hawkins has researched the local (to where I work) war memorial for the 163 names upon it, in Ringwood, Hampshire.

I don't know if John is a member of GWF, suspect not.

I saw a local display at lunchtime today where he's appealing for info on 5 names not traced to date. 

Suspect a regiment & service number would be what he is looking for.

Regards

Alan.

ringwood.JPG

Brown
Soldiers effects shows no R Brown killed or died on 31 July 1918.

Melbourne
No T Melbourne in the soldier's effects or SDGW. There is a Richard Thomas Melbourne born in Maesteg - he however was in Wales in 1911.

Trussell
Nothing obvious in SDGW or Effects

Craig

31 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Trussell
Nothing obvious in SDGW or Effects

Think it is this man...Samuel Trussell

Tracking a Sapper S Trussell #265819 who was discharged for Sickness in 1919 aged 39...but particulars furnished or for Taviatock Square.

Edit discount Sapper...we are looking for a Samuel Trussell aged 23 abt 1897

Andy

Screenshot_20180613-182037.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Some men that don't quite fit;

4669 Frank Melbourne, 3rd Hussars, died 19/9/14. Husband of C. Melbourne, of 1, Jubilee Cottage, Ringwood, Hants.

111014 A T Kendall, 44th RF, Son of the late William and Janet Kendall, of Crowe, nr. Ringwood, Hants

23424 Edward Patric Healy, Royal Scots.  husband of Bessie Edith Wilson (formerly Healy), of 2, Strides Lane, Ringwood, Hants.

Many of the men "missing" from the Galashiels War Memorial I researched died after the end of the war or after they were discharged sick.  You need the date that the war memorial panels were installed / carved/ cast. You can then search through the death records/ Local papers etc looking for people who could have served. (This is easier in Scotland as the death certs are on-line).  The thing to remember is that the war memorial committee rules for inclusion could have been very different from the CWGC rules.

Private 2737 Samuel Trussell 9 Royal Scots, discharged through sickness March 1915?

Our S Trussel born in Patricroft Lancashire it seems.

Cannot see any Samuel Trussells born in Scotland.

Edit noting IPT's Edward Patric Healy..being a Ringwood man in the Royal Scots..then he is a possible.

Edited by HolymoleyRE

A D Healey...should read E D Healey?

A potential is 4736 Pte ED Healey Connaught Rangers...MIC has him as deceased, Medal Roll deceased 25th 4th 1916.

Screenshot_20180613-202407.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

What do you make of this, Ringwood connection

CWGC

Private
HEALY, EDWARD PATRICK

Service Number 23424

Died 25/07/1916

Aged 27

2nd Bn. 
Royal Scots

(Served as SMITH), Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Alick Healy, of Manchester; husband of Bessie Edith Wilson (formerly Healy), of 2, Strides Lane, Ringwood, Hants.

SDGW  Kingwood should read Ringwood

HELEY.JPG.e5124b4bbf484bf53ebcba58ec95b392.JPG

248796137_HELEY(2).jpg.05706654145bc360f4788a36937d2d63.jpg

Ray

28 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

As per post #4. that makes it much more likely to be Edward Patrick (Or Edward Joseph) Healy (or Healey). For whatever reason, he served as Joseph Smith. He seems to have surviving service papers. He married Bessie Edith Carpenter in 1915 in Christchurch, Hampshire.

Interestingly, both he and Samuel Trussell appear to have been from Manchester area and served in the Royal Scots. 

Bolton Remembers - http://boltonremembers.org/name/healy-edward-joseph-private-royal-scots-lothian-regiment/

HEALY, EDWARD PATRICK
Service Number 23424

Died 25/07/1916

Aged 27

2nd Bn. 
Royal Scots

(Served as SMITH), Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Alick Healy, of Manchester; husband of Bessie Edith Wilson (formerly Healy), of 2, Strides Lane, Ringwood, Hants.

1 minute ago, IPT said:

Interestingly, both he and Samuel Trussell appear to have been from Manchester area and served in the Royal Scots. 

Twas thinking the same...a misread P as a D very plausible.

Edited by HolymoleyRE

2 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

my typing speed must have increased

And you look good too.

RaySearching

Bessie E Healey married William J Wilson in Ringwood, 1st Qtr 1918. He has some military snippet on FMP, but I don't know what it is - https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/united-kingdom-records/military-armed-forces-and-conflict?firstname=william j&firstname_variants=true&lastname=wilson&yearofbirth=1889&yearofbirth_offset=10&keywords=ringwood

Name: Edward P Healey
Possible Partners: Bessie E. Carpenter... District: Christchurch... County: Hampshire... Year: 1915... Quarter: Apr-Jun... Volume: 2b... Page: 1917...

Wow, that's a great response from all you guys. There's at least a couple of hot leads there.

Did a quick check on Geoff's search engine using 'Ringwood' in the additional info field and found most of the names being proposed but hadn't the time to dig deeper.

The Ringwood Meeting House only seems to be open during the lunch hour on Wednesdays but I'll see if I can contact John with all your info before then.

One of the things I found with memorials is that they sometimes reflect where the families were living in the 1920s rather than where the soldier may have lived. One of my own relatives is on a village memorial in a place he almost certainly never visited but it just happens that his mother moved there in 1921.

Many thanks to all

Alan.

1 hour ago, HolymoleyRE said:

A potential is 4736 Pte ED Healey Connaught Rangers...MIC has him as deceased, Medal Roll deceased 25th 4th 1916.

Screenshot_20180613-202407.jpg

I'll check the actual memorial tomorrow but suspect you're correct and AD is a mistake.

Regards

Alan.

5 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

I'll check the actual memorial tomorrow but suspect you're correct and AD is a mistake.

Regards

Alan.

No worries Alan, 

But was lifted off an image of the memorial.. (Ringwood Memorial Gardens).

Screenshot_20180613-220051.jpg

9 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

CWGC SDGW MIC soldiers effects  all list PTE 4736 as Haley

born London enlisted Holborn resided Kings Cross wrong surname no Ringwood connection 

I think this soldier can be discounted

Ray

Regarding R. Brown, I note that there is a Reginald Brown on the Ringwood Methodist Church memorial - http://www.mymethodisthistory.org.uk/page_id__342.aspx

I suspect this could be 645299 Thomas Reginald Brown, who was born in Poole but appears on the 1901 and 1911 in Ringwood. He also appears to have surviving 1914 papers, with Ringwood as his residence - https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/202492/brown,-thomas-reginald/

`

Thomas Melbourne...age at time

of death fits in with Thomas the Butchers YoB.

Screenshot_20180613-220918.jpg

10 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

CWGC SDGW MIC soldiers effects  all list PTE 4736 as Haley

born London enlisted Holborn resided Kings Cross wrong surname no Ringwood connection 

I think this soldier can be discounted

Ray

Concur Ray.

Edited by HolymoleyRE

12 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Thomas Melbourne...age at time of death fits in with Thomas the Butchers YoB.

Looks very likely.  The birth of this man was registered in Ringwood in 1884, and he appears there in 1891 and 1901. His parents are still in Ringwood on the 1911 census.

There's a chance that he's the Thomas Melbourne that marries Cecilia Higgins in Bolton in 1907 (Cecilia Melbourne died in Bolton in 1941). This man is living in Bolton in 1911. There are some 1915 and 1920 service/pension papers for a Thomas Melbourne, in Lancashire, born 1884.

9 minutes ago, IPT said:

The birth of this man was registered in Ringwood in 1884, and he appears there in 1891 and 1901. His parents are still in Ringwood on the 1911 census.

Just found his birth reg as you say 1884...but on the 1911 census he is in Bournemouth but abt is 1886...hence I plucked for the 1920 Fareham death.

Andy

9 hours ago, HolymoleyRE said:

No worries Alan, 

But was lifted off an image of the memorial.. (Ringwood Memorial Gardens).

Screenshot_20180613-220051.jpg

Never doubted you for a minute!

The display I saw yesterday said that lists printed in parish magazines sometimes showed different initials to those that actually ended up on the memorial. I suspect the AD came from one of those other printed sources.

One copy of a parish magazine in their archive has four names in pencil, all of which appear on a smaller additional panel so it's clear that ammendments were made after the initial unveiling.

Thanks again for you good work.

Regards

Alan.

As others have found much about them, these are the CWGC entries for men with Ringwood connections - except for Trussell

BROWN, CHARLES. Captain. Died 25/04/1918. Aged 31. 
242nd Siege Bty. Royal Garrison Artillery. Awards: M M
Son of Charles and Eliza Brown, of 1, Rose Cottage, Ringwood, Hants.
Buried at LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY Plot XXVIII. Row A. Grave 2.

HEALY, EDWARD PATRICK. (Served as SMITH), Private. Service Number 23424. Died 25/07/1916. Aged 27.
2nd Bn. Royal Scots. 
Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Alick Healy, of Manchester; husband of Bessie Edith Wilson (formerly Healy), of 2, Strides Lane, Ringwood, Hants.
Commemorated at THIEPVAL MEMORIAL: Pier and Face 6 D and 7 D.

KENDALL, A T. (AlBert) Private. Service Number G/111014. Died 27/02/1919. Aged 31.
44th Garrison Bn. Royal Fusiliers
Son of the late William and Janet Kendall, of Crowe, nr. Ringwood, Hants; husband of Edith Kendall, of Castletop, Burley, nr. Brockenhurst, Hants.
Buried at ABBEVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION: Plot V. Row G. Grave 8.

MELBOURNE, FRANK. Private. Service Number 4669. Died 19/09/1914. Aged 32. (misread "F" in copperplate script, or a relative with Ringwood link?)
3rd (King's Own) Hussars
Husband of C. Melbourne, of 1, Jubilee Cottage, Ringwood, Hants.
Buried at VAILLY BRITISH CEMETERY: Plot I. Row AA. Grave 28.

Others have broken the back of this enquiry, but for reference, I attach the Ringwood extract from CWGC for WW1.

Ringwood WW1 CasualtySearch_14_06_2018_11_03.csv

Edited by KevinBattle