Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Croydon War Memorial

Soren

Hello All,

The other day I came up to the big smoke for a family do.... whilst driving through Croydon town centre I saw this fantastic memorial with an injured tommie dressing his wounds.

Does anyone have a picture of this memorial, I'd love to examine it properly, unfortunately I was travelling at high speed in my 1984 Citroen 2CV (with a following wind) and could'nt slow down, as this is quite a rare occurance! :D

Regards

Soren

Soren.

If no one else can provide one I am happy to take a photo next time I am there -although this may be a while now.

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

Soren.

I have not forgotten about this but have had problems with my camera. Hope to get a new one soon so will try and get this picture in the next couple of weeks.

Neil

Neil, I would appreciate snaps of the female figure on the opposite side together with any female names on the memorial itself. I hope the camera gets better soon. Thanks in anticipation, Jim Strawbridge.

Jim.

No problem with taking the picture. No actual names on the memorial though (male or female) as far as I can recall.

Neil

You will find a recent photograph of part of the memorial here- scroll down to April 2004!

I think I may have a few more which may or may not be of help.

Rosemary

Soren

This link has photos of memorial

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/London/Croydon.html.

Hope its of interest

Bronfay

Thank you very much, Bronfay, for posting this link. I have three relatives (Grandad & two great-uncles) from Croydon, who served.

Does anyone know which church this is, behind the memorial?

... and when the memorial was (what's the right word?) launched/solemnized/?

Alison Causton

Alison

It's not a church - it's the reference library.

Jim - here's a picture of the woman. There are no names on it.

Regards

Grovetown.

(Both this image and the one following were taken from At the Going Down of the Sun by Derek Boorman).

The figures are by the London born sculptor Paul Raphael Montford.

He was the son of sculptor Horace Montford, with whom he trained before studying at the Lambeth and RA Schools, where he won a gold medal, the Landseer Scholarship and a Travelling Scholarship, 1891.

He taught modelling at Chelsea Polytechnic from 1898, and produced a number of architectural sculptures including, reliefs on Battersea Town Hall (1892), Cardiff City Hall (1901-5) and the figures of Caxton and George Heriot on the Victoria and Albert Museum.

He also executed bronze busts of Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman, Westminster Abbey (1908) and Sir William Randall Cramer, Geoffrye Museum (1908).

In 1912 he married Marian Alice Dibden, a portrait- and miniature painter.

In 1914, he won the competition for the four sculpture groups on Glasgow's Kelvin Way Bridge, but these were not erected until the 1920s.

In 1921, attracted by the light, which he believed conducive to monumental sculpture, they travelled to Australia settling in Melbourne, where he executed the War Memorial Figures and some public statues.

He died in 1938.

Dave