Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Presentation Experimental Italian Cavalry Saber by French designer?

nick1213

Hello! I recently purchased an interesting sword that I would love to get some input on. It is clearly a cavalry saber, though unmarked except for a scabbard throat serial, and unlike any pattern I have been able to ID. The hilt is vaguely reminiscent of the French 1896 Officers Saber. There is an inscription on the blade reading " "Souvenir du Lieutenant Pitet a Monsieur le Colonel Conso 1916". Lieuteniant Pitet was a French Army inventor best known for a modified Lebel bayonet that was produced in limited numbers and saw some combat use in 1917. He also apparently submitted a bayonet design to the U.S. Army. Colonel Conso was the Chief of the Italian Army High Command Technical Bureau at the time, and is most often associated in sources with the adoption of the Fiat Villar Perosa machine gun.

My current theory is that this sword is perhaps a cavalry saber prototype or part of a limited experimental run, designed and submitted by Pitet to the Italian military in 1916, and gifted to Colonel Conso in this process. Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

13644-GazettedesArmes-416-Page-039.jpg

s-l1600 (1) (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg