Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H V Scolding From ships steward to 2Lt in the Army

LLEWELLYN DARLINGTON

Hello There. I am researching Henry Victor Scolding, born Parkeston, Harwich . He enlisted into the army on August 31, 1914 aged  22years and served with four regiments . He was severely reprimanded on 12.9.1915 for sitting on the firing platform and was  wounded GSW Buttock 14.7. 1916 (makes you wonder if he was again sitting on the firing platform). When he enlisted he gave his occupation as a ships steward so I was just wondering if anyone could help provide any information on his service as a ships steward. 

There is a record for him on FMP that is his index card in the CR10 Register of Seamen but it has a 1918 date which suggest he re-joined after his army service, presumably in a position that allowed him to remain standing!  

Needs a Merchant Navy expert to look at the card and advise further about pre war as the National Archives info on BT 350 and BT 348 says that the cards 1913-1918 were destroyed.

Max 

HV Scolding served as an Assistant Steward with the Great Eastern Railway Company ships on their North Sea trade between Parkeston Quay and Rotterdam, Antwerp and Zeebrugge amongst other ports.

He first appears, at the age of 17 on the 6 monthly collective crew agreement on 2 July 1909 and continues to serve until 31 December 1914 although that is the termination date of the crew agreement not when he left the ship.  He is Assistant Steward on the following passenger ships, ST.PETERSBURG, BRUSSELS and DRESDEN, the Brussels being famous for her association with Captain Fryatt.  It is probable that he served prior to this as a Galley Boy or Pantry Boy, as it would be unusual to become an Assistant Steward straight away.

The Crew lists are available at Kew RAIL 227/490

As MaxD pointed out, his CR10 card shows he returned to being an Assistant Steward post war it is highly likely he returned to service with the Great Eastern Railway, the ships tended to be a job for life!  This can be checked depending on how much more, or detailed information you wish to know?

Tony

Edited by MerchantOldSalt

Quick thanks from me Tony for picking this one up with your expert knowledge of matters maritime!

Max

Thank you for your replies. The information you gave me is just what I was looking for. Lew

No problem Lew and Max,  I do not have information on the post war crew lists for the GER ships though I suspect they are available at Kew in the RAIL 227 or BT99 series with a bit of searching.  His CR10 though bearing rather a fine photo of him does not, unfortunately have any ship's Official Numbers entered on it, this appears to be normal for men serving on packet ships, now called ferries.

I have found several other men who were rated Assistant Steward on their First Ship in the GER fleet so he could well have gone straight to sea at 17 in that capacity after all.

Couple of photos of the ships on which he served just for interest

Tony

Dresden.jpg.d97e347ca6a8addf97f0a67b9864ec04.jpg

St Petersburg  PQ1.JPG

Super pictures of the ships. it makes me wonder when he went back to sea as a steward if he ever served any men who served under him in France as a 2/Lt . It seems a little sad to me  but at the end of the day at least it paid the bills.