Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Philip Crosland - Suggestions?

tbirduk

I'm confused, any suggestions are welcome.
It appears that William was serving with the Artists Rifles as a Private when he was Posted to BEF in April 1916, he was commissisioned as a 2nd Lt (temp) in the 1st Bn West Yorkshire Regiment 25 March 1917 and at some point was posted to the 2nd Bn before he was killed in action 16 Aug 1917.
My confusion is caused by the 2n Bn WYR being heavily engaged and losing several Officers that Day at the Battle of Langemarck, so why is 2nd Lt Crosland remembered on Thiepval and not on Tyne Cot with nearly 100 of his comrades? 

He was posted directly to 2nd Battn on commission. War Diary states on 26/3/17 at Moislains: "2nd Lt Crosland joins on 1st appointment". His demise is mentioned in the margin of the diary on 16/8/16. Westhoek Ridge. 

CWGC may have the answer. Not sure which memorial was built first. But wonder if it is as simple that he was inadvertently missed on Tyne Cot so they put him on Thiepval. Never seen this before.

That is an incredibly strange thing.  Unless there were two officers of similar or the same name?  Baffled!

I would suspect is linked with him being reported missing. Was he subsequently reported as 'presumed to have died on or after... ?

Here is an enquiry in ICRC

5b05ba1d622aa_CroslandWPICRC.JPG.0b8bc5d3d1144dcc79c054a6f9fbb90a.JPG

Charlie

The footnote on the ICRC card refers to John Granville Berry, died 16/8/17 - who is on Tyne Cot !

Here are his cards (filed under Barry, West Riding)

5b05be169ee1c_BerryJGICRCenquiry.JPG.a278a975513e76e6ad3c075783618513.JPG5b05be1781fc8_BerryJGICRCenquiry2.JPG.b556077707a40203d228ff35f828fa41.JPG

Which rather knocks back my theory since I cannot see the difference between Berry and Crosland.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

And to further confuse my theory, Berry was reported Missing in DailyCasList 3/9/17      but        Crosland was reported Killed in DailyCasList 7/9/17.

Charlie

• 2 months later...

Get the Polyfilla out! B)

Sent: 01 August 2018 08:09
To: xxxxxx
Subject: RE: Names on Memorials?

Dear Mr. Smee,

Thank you for pointing out the error in our record for 2/Lt. W.P. Crosland.  In light of the information you have provided, we are now arranging to add 2/Lt. Crosland to the Tyne Cot Memorial:-

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/757650/crosland,-william-philip/

Yours sincerely

Roy Hemington

CWGC Records Data Manager

7 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Well done. Are CWGC thus saying it was a clerical error ?

all they have said is what is shown above, but the "circumstantial" evidence is contemporary and without being shown what the decision to place his name on Thiepval was based on ....  

Capture.JPG