Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Access records relating to Director of Military Training (DMT)

of0213

Hi all,

Does anybody know the specific war office files relating to the the training of soldiers during the FWW. I have found W0 231 at the National Archives but this appears to be for SWW only.

I am looking into the training aspect of soldiers during the FWW for my BA dissertation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

6 minutes ago, of0213 said:

Hi all,

Does anybody know the specific war office files relating to the the training of soldiers during the FWW. I have found W0 231 at the National Archives but this appears to be for SWW only.

I am looking into the training aspect of soldiers during the FWW for my BA dissertation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Hi

The bibliography in 'Learning to Fight:  Military Innovation and Change in the British Army, 1914-1918' by Aimee Fox, CUP, 2018, might be of use as may the same in 'Battle Tactics of the Western Front' by Paddy Griffith.  However, it depends on the type of 'training' you are looking for.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for the quick response. I will check out Military Innovation and Change in the British Army, 1914-1918' by Aimee Fox, CUP, 2018.

WO231 does contain two pre-Great War files:

WO 231/403 Memorandum on Army Training 1908  1909 Jan 18     
WO 231/404 Memorandum on Army Training 1909  1909 Dec 29  

You may also find some information on training in WO32, Registered Files, General. Subsection 35 contains material on training, but does not appear to contain anything relevant to your specific question.

Ron