Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Battalion Leinster Regiment - 9 September 1916

aengland

Hoping that someone can help me please

On Friday I am taking a friend to the Somme on his first visit, and he has just informed me (!) that one of his relations (Serjeant 2760 John Harrison) was in the 7th Leinsters, died on 9 September 1916, and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

I understand that the Leinsters were part of the 47th Brigade that attacked that morning to the west of the road between Guillemont and Ginchy..... I am hoping that some kind soul will help me with some of the following

1. War Diary of the 7th Leinsters for that day i.e. 9th September 1916
  2. Trench map so that I can locate the exact positions of the Leinsters
  3. Number of 9th Leinsters casualties on that day

I know it is a big ask, and I thank anyone (in advance) for helping me out.  Having recently moved house my 'Soldiers Died' and 'Trench Map' discs are packed away in a box, one that is yet to be unpacked....  

Thank you

Andrew

Thanks 'museumtom'.... very interesting and very useful.....

It will most certainly add to my friends visit to the Somme; I know he will be grateful

Thank you very much.

Andrew

Not a bother, happy to help.

According to CWGC records the 7/Leinsters had 73 KIA in the month of September 1916 (Including attacks on Guillemont and Ginchy). Don't have daily or casualty numbers to hand

Using Geoff's Search engine casualties for 7th Battalion Leinster Regiment  9/9/1916   14  + 2  from 4th Battalion attached to 7th  + 1 from  3rd Battalion attached to 7th Battalion.

Bob

A big thank you to 'museumtom', 'jervis', 'little bob' and 'margaretnolan'.... I really appreciate all your help

Margaret.... thank you very much for your kind offer, but someone has already sent them to me.  

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Your friend could do worse than get copies of the relevant diaries for 16 Division Headquarters (General Staff) - National Archives here, or Ancestry here; and 47 Infantry Brigade HQ - TNA here, Ancestry here. Between them they contain things such as basic maps showing starting points/objectives, summary of operations, etc.

Regards

Chris

Dear clk.... thank you very much. I'm on the case

Andrew

• 1 year later...
On 21/05/2018 at 19:50, Margaretnolan said:

I have the War diaries for 7th Battalion Leinsters if you will send me your email address please. 

Hi,

I have an ancestor who was killed in action with the 7th Leinsters on the 3 September 1916.

I would really appreciate it if you could send me some details of their action on that day.

my email is:

Many thanks,

Simon

39 minutes ago, sw63 said:

Hi,

I have an ancestor who was killed in action with the 7th Leinsters on the 3 September 1916.

I would really appreciate it if you could send me some details of their action on that day.

my email is: dase@talktalk.net

Many thanks,

Simon

Simon I will try to email it later tonight.

Margaret

On 16/10/2019 at 12:59, sw63 said:

Hi,

my email is: dase@talktalk.net

Many thanks,

Simon

Simon,

I sent you two emails. Will you let me know that you got them.

Margaret

Thanks for the diaries, Margaret.  I was able to discover that John Murray died at Juillemont.

11 minutes ago, sw63 said:

Thanks for the diaries, Margaret.  I was able to discover that John Murray died at Juillemont.

You’re welcome. Guillemont I’d say. 

Margaret

22 minutes ago, Jervis said:

John Vincent Holland of the 7th Leinsters won a Victoria cross on the same day. 

45 minutes ago, sw63 said:

Simon,

What was your ancestors name.

Margaret

• 2 years later...
On 21/05/2018 at 19:50, Margaretnolan said:

I have the War diaries for 7th Battalion Leinsters if you will send me your email address please. 

Hi Margaret, could you send the war diaries to me as well please 

I'm interested because Judi Dench's father was in the 7th Leinsters involved in a raid on the Tunnel Trench on October 16, 1917, and my great uncle's Royal Engineers unit was attached to them. The RE war diary doesn't say much about it so I'm hoping the 7th Leinster's account may give more details about that raid and possibly the attack on the Tunnel Trench on November 20th in which he died

• Admin

Please do not post email addresses on a public forum. Spammers visit and gather information from posts. 
You can send a private message to  @Margaretnolan with your email address. 

• Admin

You can also download war diaries free of charge after registering on the National Archives website. 

Tim,

I did some research on the fighting around Tunnel Trench in October and November 1917. Who was your relative and which company were they with? I presume 156th Field Company, 16 Irish Division, under Major Holbrow if memory serves. I need to watch last weeks WDYTYA on the subject. The war diary for 7th Leinsters may be of interest as Michelle suggests as will the 156th Company diary.

I may be able to provide a rough map of the area if I can dig it out from previous documents.

Kind regards

Colin 

I am attaching images of two pages from the Leinsters regimental history which describes the raid in Oct and the subsequent raid in Nov with the R.E.  

Jervis

F5ADB223-671A-465D-BD34-7D4BA731EEF1.jpeg

B577D05D-AE30-40C6-BFA1-3441A1295C1C.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Dear Jervis

It was so exciting to read those 2 pages which you posted from the  Leinster Regimental History. 

I believe that Lieut Ryan mentioned toward the end of the page, may be my grandfather's first cousin, 2nd Lieut James Ryan who died in Jan 1918. 

Would you be able to tell me how I might verify that connection please? 

Is it still possible to get a copy of the Leinster  Regimental History? 

Kind regards 

Marie

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Book is available here, but not cheap! @Jervis is still active on the forum. 

IMG_1056.png