Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chrome Plated Plaques Romany Myth ?

HarryBettsMCDCM

Whilst chatting this Morning with A Local Dealer a Chap wandered up & after a brief chat with us;started to discuss the possible reason for a few Commemorative Plaques to have been Chromium Plated,according to this fellow ,he had been discussing the probable reason and was informed that it was a Romany Gypsy practice to keep the "Name Of the Recipient Untarnished,along with his Memory"[His words,but an admirable sentiment,nonetheless],I just wondered if any other Forum members had come across this explanation before ?,not something I had given much thought to previously I must admit,having never seen such an example,though I have heard of them turning up before.

Guest Pete Wood

I've seen three in the flesh, and there have been one or two on the forum - but the Romany explanation is new to me, also.

One chrome-plated plaque I know of, that is still with the family, was done because they "didn't like the green mould, and we wanted it to look shiney like a medal."

Interesting.

Whilst chatting this Morning with A Local Dealer a Chap wandered up & after a brief chat with us;started to discuss the possible reason for a few Commemorative Plaques to have been Chromium Plated,according to this fellow ,he had been discussing the probable reason and was informed that it was a Romany Gypsy practice to keep the "Name Of the Recipient Untarnished,along with his Memory"[His words,but an admirable sentiment,nonetheless],I just wondered if any other Forum members had come across this explanation before ?,not something I had given much thought to previously I must admit,having never seen such an example,though I have heard of them turning up before.

Doesn't ring true to me.

I know of one Romany family who burned all the effects of a dead relative. I was told that this was the Romany custom.

Is this the case, or did I just come across some Romany weirdos?

I have only one 'chromed' 'tinned', 'silvered' death plaque and that is to a guy who is not findable..could this be a clue? Are your silvered plaques to guys who are in the records?

It was very frustrating trying to find this guy without success.

Tom.

Guest Pete Wood
I have only one 'chromed' 'tinned', 'silvered' death plaque and that is to a guy who is not findable..could this be a clue? Are your silvered plaques to guys who are in the records?

It was very frustrating trying to find this guy without success.

Tom.

Tom, I don't think it is a clue.

The plated plaques I have seen are all identifiable (IIRC). It certainly wasn't a process carried out by the plaque factories.

What was the name you couldn't find....??

I was hoping you would not ask me that. it is in a display case with other relics from the great war and a selection of de-ac ammo from that period, which I have on display down the local. I will look the name up tommorrow evening and post it here. I tried the USA, Britain, Canada and Ozzie without success. The plaque had a bolt soldered to the back which I removed, are the other silvered plaques with this attachment?

Tom.

[ I know of one Romany family who burned all the effects of a dead relative. I was told that this was the Romany custom.

Is this the case, or did I just come across some Romany weirdos?

No you've not come across "Weirdo" Romanies{can you actually say that in 2005?}It is still a Romany Tradition in True Romany Funerals to Burn the Caravan & Personal Household Effects of the deceased{Not; however I venture to suggest; the Gold Sovereigns,Crown Derby & Range Rover Discovery & Chrome Plated Commemorative Plaques, Though!} :rolleyes:

The name on the unidentified silvered plaque is David John Kearns.

So far I have not been able to identify it............................any ideas?

Tom

Just to make you happy I went down the local ( in the interests of research) and copied then mans name on the plaque. I have searched all known databases without success. I just cannot find him.

His name is David John Kearns.

Regards.

Tom