Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Weedy Charlton - Durham Light Infantry

Kemrl5

Hi,
I need some help regarding the service record of James Weedy Charlton who served with the 9th Durham Light Infantry (service number is 1416).
James (born in 1895 in Gateshead) enlisted in the Territorial Force in May 1912. That same year, from 28 July to 11 August the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th battalions of the DLI were at their annual training camp in Scarborough, however, on the “Statement of Services” page in his service record, “Scarborough, 28-7-12 to 11-8-12” has been crossed out. Below this is: “Leave, 1912”

The Military History Sheet records that he was ‘Home’ from 30 May 1912 to 4 August 1914 and Embodied from 5 August 1914 to 19 April 1915.

Here are screenshots of the two pages:

Screenshot_1.png.bd197dcc15c74f9ba2ab2a9ed9dbf28c.png

Screenshot_2.png.43834cdec3f271de889c4d4e58fcc5cd.png

I’ve looked at other service records for men who enlisted in 1912 and attended the camp in 1912 and James’ is the only one so far that has “Scarborough”crossed out.

Does this mean he never went? What did they mean by “Leave, 1912”?

Also, was he in the 9th battalion when war broke out? His service records mentions him being in 2/9th battalion.

Screenshot_3.png.054a8675f019fdb3f25d5668898ff7de.png

Thank you

It looks like he never attended the camp for 1912 - I'd suspect the clerk filled in all of the records and it was then amended when they realised it had been filled in error.

2/9th was formed from 9th Bn. Long story short - the 9th Bn split on the outbreak of war to form two battalions 1/9th and 2/9th - the 1/9th was the battalion which was expected to go off and fight whilst the 2/9th provided men, training and support (later a 3/9th was also formed). Men could be moved between the different 'lines' of the battalion as required.

He was obviously fit and ready to go by April 1915 as he was one of the men sent to France on 19/20 April 1915 - the men marched from Bensham to Central Station with the rest of 151st brigade and entrained for France. Less than a week later they were in action at Ypres.

James lived not too far from where I live now. He also lived not too far from the battalion drill hall.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Interesting. Was it compulsory to go to these camps?

I'm wondering if him not going had anything to do with him being on leave.

8 minutes ago, Kemrl5 said:

Interesting. Was it compulsory to go to these camps?

I'm wondering if him not going had anything to do with him being on leave.

I suspect 'leave' was just the term used to note he was given permission not to attend. The camp was 'compulsory' but men could get out of it with a good reason but if they simply chose not to attend there was not a lot that could be done although ultimately they could be fined/discharged by the CO if the failed to meet the required attendance etc.

Craig

• 5 months later...

My uncle EDWARD THOMAS DIXON 9th Btn DLI  was  at the Scarborough camp in MARCH 1915.

On "About 9.30 pm 6th March 1915 to 9.30 pm 7th 1915 was found drunk and charged on the 8th,forfeits 2days".

Sgt Grinson? reported him.

HE was killed at Sanctuary Wood  31st Dec 1915 --no known grave. I like to think that  he wasn`t  a normal drinker and was carried away(not literally) but why did it regard it as two days.

He also enlisted in Gateshead  in the Territorials in 1912.

Edited by lowspen
Addinal info.

1 minute ago, lowspen said:

My uncle EDWARD THOMAS DIXON 9th Btn DLI  was  at the Scarborough camp in MARCH 1915.

On "About 9.30 pm 6th March 1915 to 9.30 pm 7th 1915 was found drunk and charged on the 8th,forfeits 2days".

Sgt Grinson? reported him.

HE was killed at Sanctuary Wood  31st Dec 1915 --no known grave. I like to think that  he wasn`t  a normal drinker and was carried away(not literally) but why did it regard it as two days.

The camp referred to earlier was the annual training pre-war camp (at least one of which was held at Scarborough).

I think it reads as Sgt Grierson - if it has been 6th DLI have an almost complete list of men who enlisted before late 1915 but my 9th records are far more sparse.

Craig