Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Drawings - What was in the creators mind ?

davidbohl

I found these sketches in my Grandfather's autograph book.

Any thoughts on the context around them, three of them are signed but not his.

Many thanks

Dave

Auto40.jpg

Auto19.jpg

Auto17.jpg

Auto04.jpg

Wonderful drawings.

I have an autograph book which belonged to a Great Aunt, it is probably a decade later but it too contains wonderful drawings, some cartoon like. I took it that this was the way they signed autograph books in those days, between friends, not the funny little rhymes we did in our books. Some very talented people to do such drawings. I would think that what they wrote and drew often reflected what was happening in the world.

Just my thoughts, I can't throw any light on specific events linked to your pictures.

Margaret

"Pozzy" was the slang name for jam and as it was supplied by the army " Always Plum and Apple" I take it that he is not impressed by

receiving it from home as well . The first one, I take it that the woman thinks the ladies husband has been up for an army tribunal to try and get 

exempt from service (conditional ? ) but he is really a conscientious objector and has got six months hard labour.

Edited by Black Maria

• 1 year later...
On 15/05/2018 at 10:38, Black Maria said:

"Pozzy" was the slang name for jam and as it was supplied by the army " Always Plum and Apple" I take it that he is not impressed by

receiving it from home as well . The first one, I take it that the woman thinks the ladies husband has been up for an army tribunal to try and get 

exempt from service (conditional ? ) but he is really a conscientious objector and has got six months hard labour.

I think the joke might be that the gentle woman thinks the six months is conditional exemption but it is in fact a court sentence of six months hard for crime?

• 3 weeks later...

Dictionary definition of a District Visitor is:

a woman worker in a Church of England parish who gives voluntary assistance to the rector (as by visiting and reporting cases of sickness)

Maybe a forerunner of the modern day Health Visitor, or just trying to establish if any parishoners are in need of assistance from parish funds ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_visitor